Quattro Fuel tanks

Page 1 of 2
I was recently curious as to how far my car would travel when the fuel guage and digi readout showed 0 miles left, I was concered after noticing the
guage went down quite fast by putting in smaller amounts of fuel example 15.00 roughly 3 gallons.
So I filled up and let the car bleep as it does at approx 60 miles left and the needle was approaching the red line and carried on driving, I had a can of fuel in the boot for safty sake and reset the mileometer when i hit 0 on the digi readout.
This is where it gets interesting, normally I would expect a reserve of say 1 gallon max usually less from the point the needle shows red and the cars shows 0, but my car is still driving fine 90 miles later, I will let it get too 100 miles and see what happens, but was interested to hear from anyone with the quattro twin tank design on a B6 1.8T or 3.0 A4, mine is a 2002 model.
It seems the guage is not really faulty as it may be reading low fuel from one tank but the other tank is still supplying the fuel? I do not know...
Any thought?
BTW the guage and car are working perfect, and I am getting very healthy MPG 40mpg+ I was just curious. :)
Ronny wrote:

Jeremy Clarkson did an interesting test with this in an Audi (A6?). I forget the results but he did go for what seemed like a long time after it read 0 miles.
I suspect it's just calibrated conservatively to make sure you don't actually run out unexpectedly.
Do they still have reserve tanks? I thought they were done away with years ago.

London-Edinburgh and back.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.

The quattros don't have a reserve tank as such. It's an upside down 'U' shape with a pump to transfer the fuel to the side where the fuel pump is. This is to allow for the rear offside driveshaft. At least that's the way it is on the B5 A4.
Richard
"Ronny" wrote

Whoa! Brave man. I once went about 20 miles past "0" and chickened out after that, but that was on a B5 1.8Tq.
FYI... it's not good for your fuel pump to be running on "fumes."
Cheers,
Pete

hehe, once won't hurt it I'm sure :)
I just done another 20 miles and its still going fine, you know when its getting low as the fuel pump does make some funny noises, my B5 2.6 quattro would not go very far after it read 0 but this one seems to have >2 gallons spare which is nearly 20% of the cars capacity :(

You could plug in VAG-COM and have a look at the measuring block for fuel. It tells you in litres how much fuel is in the tank. I haven't check it when the fuel light comes on but it is something that can be 'adapted' to your individual needs (or at least on the B5 it's possible).
Richard

Plug in what? Sounds rather intriguing...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
Cheers,
Pete
wrote

Thanks!

It only takes one time, for your fuel pump to stop working :-) It happened to me, it can happen to you. Now I never let it get into the red, not worth spending USD150 on a new fuel pump just to be lazy.

Why would a fuel pump stop working if it sucked fumes or nothing at all? Are they "lubricated" by the fuel running through them?
-al
"Alan Sung" wrote

The pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank.
Cheers,
Pete

On my '97 A8, the pump can ONLY be run "wet." That is one reason why fixing/replacing the pump is expensive. You can't just take it out and test it dry on a bench. If the pumps in other Audi's are similar to the one in my A8, you'll find pump repair/replacement to be more like $700 -- even at an indy shop. There are also various connectors and whatnot that will cause a malfunction if not reassembled EXACTLY right.
Again, it is NOT worth the risk. Instead, wait until you have "5 miles" on the display and fill the tank to the first "click off" on the gas pump. Note the added gas. Run back down to "5 miles" and again refill to the same level. Check those numbers against the tank capacity. You should also bear in mind that the "miles remaining" will change based on recent fuel consumption. Sometimes, that number will shift wildly if you go up a steep hill (I'm guessing because the fuel sloshes between the two tank halves).

Pumps on A4's go for a past-time, it's a very common fault, and a new one fitted from Audi is 230 / $400 so I doubt it is the same pump, although you do drive an A8 so they prob jack the prices up.
I know you can run your car down to 5 miles showing on the DIS and refill, but the point being how much fuel is left in the tank when your car shows 5 miles can vary and I would like to know perhaps how much fuel you can fit in when it is down to 5 miles on DIS??
I think the gauge on the A4 need recalibrating maybe? as 2 gallons (10 litres) of reserve fuel is far too much.

It happened to me, I had a new fuel pump about 6 months ago, the B6 had fuel pump issues anyway :(
I typically will fill up when the light comes on, just above 'E'. At that point, it will take something like 14 - 14.5 gallons, meaning there is between 2 and 2.5 gallons left in the tank (16.6 gallon tank). The most I ever put in was 15.1 gallons, and the needle was hard up against 'E' for quite a while.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Just for your info, I filled up last week and it cost me ....... 62.00 this is the most I have ever put in and that's over $100 :))) 02 A4 1.8Tq

Ha! I regularly get more than 70 worth in mine!

It's just plain wrong isn't it :(