Question about headlights on 1997 a4

hi everybody.

i recently purchased a xenon housin kit for my a4 1997. what i need to know is i got daytime runners that run all the time. but at night, when i turn on the inside lighting for the speedometer readouts, etc, i see absolutely no change in my headlight output. is something blown? or is there a bulb that isnt hooked up?

because if i was to install ballasts, etc, what would they be running off? not as daytime runners i hope!!

any info would be greatly appreciated.

David

Your daytime runners are whats known in the UK as Side lights, your xenons will be run off the Dipped beam selection, and then you got Main beam 3rd setting.

1st setting - side lights 2nd setting - Dipped beam 3rd setting - Main beam

Xenons are easy to fit, the kit just splices into the dipped beam circuit and takes all its power from there, if you are concerned about the amount of draw of current from the standard loom, then you will need a relay.

I never used a relay and have had no trouble in 2 yrs of running HID

hth Ronny

Reply to
ronny

No. Daytime Running Lights (DRL), as required by law in several countries, are normal dipped-beam headlights, or the dipped-beam running at reduced power.

Xenons draw significantly less current than normal halogen bulbs -

35 watts against 55 watts, so relays shouldn't be necessary.
Reply to
Peter Bell

Daytime Running Lights are supposed to be at a reduced light output (reduced current draw). If you use Xenon headlights with them, it will make either flicker or not light up (not enough current draw). If your current DRL is drawing full current, since you said you don't notice a brighter light output when you turn on your headlights, then you'll probably have your xenons on all the time. Depending on what country you are from, you might be able to disable the DRL function by removing a relay under the dash behind the driver's knee bolster.

Reply to
Mark1.8T

Oh so they use reduced power dipped beam then>? how strange

Yes they do only use 35 watts, but to fire up they pull loads more than standard liights, hence why some people fit relays, I think the intial pull is just on the max loading of the standard non xenon wiring

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

does anyone know why i am not noticing any change when switchin on my lights at night time? i.e. it seems like im only runnin with daytime runners at night. is somethin blown? or am i just bein an idiot and not turnin the lights on somehow?

David

David,

yes but what i am saying is i havent even installed the xenons yet. with my regular halogens i am not noticing any change whatsoever turning from daytime runners to nighttime driving lights. that is my concern before i install the xenons.

does anyone know why this is the case? or how exactly to install these things on a b5 1997 audi a4?