question on 6-sp manual

Page 1 of 2
I was looking at the Audi A4 Quattro. It has a 6-speed manual, which I've never driven before (I've only driven 5-sp). The gearstick has a weird configuration:
R 1 3 5 2 4 6
that's kind of odd, no? I would think that if I drove this, I might shift it into R instead of 1 by mistake. Does anyone have any experience with this?
On 23 Nov 2003 21:21:11 -0800, digital snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Digital Puer) wrote:

There is a strong detent on the reverse gate, and there's a good throw required to get through that gate, so in practice there's virtually no chance of hitting reverse on either a 1-2 or 2-1 shift. Or any other up or down shift, for that matter...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

The same configuration is on BMWs, isn't it? The stick's resting position in neutral is between 3 and 4. So, to get to the 1st from neutral one would need to push the stick to the left. It only takes just a bit more force to push it further. I knew people managing to get in reverse from neutral instead of 1st while parked. So, forgive me if I don't accept that "virtually no chance" statement.
Such gear configuration requires a bit of getting used to.
Victor

No. Where would you place reverse, and what cars have you driven that you find this pattern "weird?"
--
Mark

Other 6-sp cars of which I know place the R to the right of 5. If you're in 4th gear and want to shift to 5, there is some sort of automatic system that prevents you from accidentally shifting into R.
In Audi's case, if you're in neutral, I would think that it would be just as easy to accidentally shift into R as into 1st unless you're used to it.

Nope. There is, as you say, an "automatic system" to prevent that.
You have to *push down* before you can move into the reverse gate. It's obvious you haven't actually driven one.
--
Mark

Mark Allread wrote:

Of course I haven't driven one. Didn't you even bother to read my original post? "It has a 6-speed manual, which I've never driven before. (I've only driven 5-sp)."

I think that was established at Square One ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Quite obviously NOT, since if you READ the post to which I was replying, you will discover that he was under the impression that there was no lockout.
--
Mark

I READ the post, thanks for asking.
And only an utter pinhead would have come to the erroneous conclusion that the OP had ever driven an Audi 6-speed...
hth ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

The R and 1 are in the same position. Usually, you have to hold a 'button' under the shift knob while pushing the shifter in order to engage R. Otherwise, if you do not hold that button, 1 is engaged. It's pretty much fool-proof.
Cheers,
Pete

Yes. The pattern is incorrect - the forward gears actually form a conventional W (but with an extra leg, so to speak), with reverse at the side.
Always found the old British way[1] more convenient, myself, but that's long gone..
--

Hairy One Kenobi

digital snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Digital Puer) wrote:

Err, so where would you put the reverse gear? It has to go at one end or the other, no? If it were possible to get reverse by mistake (and it shouldn't be, because there is a strong spring to be overcome to reach the reverse plane), I would rather it was when I was expecting first, rather than when I was expecting sixth!

On 5-speed trannies, have you ever shifted to R from 5th when downshifting? Please...
There is [using other poster's expression] virtually no chance to get in R while moving [fast] and not just because of a spring. There is, however, a very bad consequence for shifting in R when needing the 1st.
So, I'd put it right next to 5 (if it were possible):
1 3 5 R 2 4 6
Somehow I think that accidental shifting to 5th instead of R (from park) and stalling the engine is not as bad as shifting into 1st and moving in the wrong direction (even a few of cm). And following the "strong spring" theory and a need to push the stick _in_ to shift into R, I'd say it could actually be a better position.
But that's just MHO.
Victor

No, never. You're the one who seems to be worried about doing this. But then I've been driving with manual gearboxes since 1971, when four speed gearboxes were most common.
I'm trying to remember all the gear selector configurations I've used over the years:
R 1 3 R 1 3 5 1 3 R 1 3 5 R 1 3 5 1 3 2 4 2 4 2 4 2 4 R 2 4 6 R 2 4
The problems come when you regularly drive two, or more cars, with different configurations! Thankfully, the two manual cars I drive at present both use the second layout above.

The gearbox might not appreciate the attempt, though! Try too often and it might show its displeasure.

But it is harder to overcome the spring pressure when pushing the gear lever away from you (as in next to first gear) than when pulling it towards you (as in next to fifth or sixth gear). If you happen to be in one of those countries where the gear lever is on your right hand side, then I can only feel sorry for you!

"One of those countries"? I do appreciate a good joke. :-)

What's the joke? I believe that more than 50% of the world's population live in countries where the rule is to drive on the left hand side of the road.

Well, I believe you believe wrong. This link: http://www.travel-library.com/general/driving/drive_which_side.html gives 34% "lefties" versus 66% "righties". Oh, of course, it's for 1996... But _I_believe_ the distribution of the Earth's population hasn't changed too much since then. And I don't believe any countries suddenly changed the side of the road they drive on.
Of course, _living_ in a country with driving on a certain side of the road and being able (or having anything) to _drive_ in it is a completely different story. How many do you think actually _drive_passenger_cars_ in those countries? So, THAT's pretty much an open question, not how many countries there are with a particular rule or how many people live in them.
wrote...

Well, quite. Interesting link (I guess that one gets totally different "origin" stories when one is based in a different continent. IMHO he missed a /great/ set of stories by skipping the Greek changeover ;o)
Mind you, China aside, and his figures get a /lot/ closer.. and that's excluding the countries that decided right-handed people would be safer if they held the steering wheel in their left hand while changing gear.
Like most opinions (including mine - I'm no chauvinist), it's probably based on the theory "I've been doin' it, so that's the best way to do it. An' now I'm gonna prove it")
H1K
Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

Isn't the right brain responsible for spatial relationships? And doesn't the right brain control the left side of the body? (Of course, in normal people with properly functioning corpus callosae[sp?], either half of the brain can learn to control either side of the body.)
-- Mike Smith