question on 6-sp manual

I was looking at the Audi A4 Quattro. It has a 6-speed manual, which I've never driven before (I've only driven 5-sp). The gearstick has a weird configuration:

R 1 3 5 2 4 6

that's kind of odd, no? I would think that if I drove this, I might shift it into R instead of 1 by mistake. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Reply to
Digital Puer

There is a strong detent on the reverse gate, and there's a good throw required to get through that gate, so in practice there's virtually no chance of hitting reverse on either a 1-2 or 2-1 shift. Or any other up or down shift, for that matter...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

No. Where would you place reverse, and what cars have you driven that you find this pattern "weird?"

Reply to
Mark Allread

The R and 1 are in the same position. Usually, you have to hold a 'button' under the shift knob while pushing the shifter in order to engage R. Otherwise, if you do not hold that button, 1 is engaged. It's pretty much fool-proof.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Yes. The pattern is incorrect - the forward gears actually form a conventional W (but with an extra leg, so to speak), with reverse at the side.

Always found the old British way[1] more convenient, myself, but that's long gone..

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Err, so where would you put the reverse gear? It has to go at one end or the other, no? If it were possible to get reverse by mistake (and it shouldn't be, because there is a strong spring to be overcome to reach the reverse plane), I would rather it was when I was expecting first, rather than when I was expecting sixth!

Reply to
Peter Bell

The same configuration is on BMWs, isn't it? The stick's resting position in neutral is between 3 and 4. So, to get to the 1st from neutral one would need to push the stick to the left. It only takes just a bit more force to push it further. I knew people managing to get in reverse from neutral instead of 1st while parked. So, forgive me if I don't accept that "virtually no chance" statement.

Such gear configuration requires a bit of getting used to.

Victor

Reply to
Victor Bazarov

On 5-speed trannies, have you ever shifted to R from 5th when downshifting? Please...

There is [using other poster's expression] virtually no chance to get in R while moving [fast] and not just because of a spring. There is, however, a very bad consequence for shifting in R when needing the 1st.

So, I'd put it right next to 5 (if it were possible):

1 3 5 R 2 4 6

Somehow I think that accidental shifting to 5th instead of R (from park) and stalling the engine is not as bad as shifting into 1st and moving in the wrong direction (even a few of cm). And following the "strong spring" theory and a need to push the stick _in_ to shift into R, I'd say it could actually be a better position.

But that's just MHO.

Victor

Reply to
Victor Bazarov

Other 6-sp cars of which I know place the R to the right of 5. If you're in 4th gear and want to shift to 5, there is some sort of automatic system that prevents you from accidentally shifting into R.

In Audi's case, if you're in neutral, I would think that it would be just as easy to accidentally shift into R as into 1st unless you're used to it.

Reply to
Digital Puer

No, never. You're the one who seems to be worried about doing this. But then I've been driving with manual gearboxes since 1971, when four speed gearboxes were most common.

I'm trying to remember all the gear selector configurations I've used over the years:

R 1 3 R 1 3 5 1 3 R 1 3 5 R 1 3 5 1 3 2 4 2 4 2 4 2 4 R 2 4 6 R 2 4

The problems come when you regularly drive two, or more cars, with different configurations! Thankfully, the two manual cars I drive at present both use the second layout above.

The gearbox might not appreciate the attempt, though! Try too often and it might show its displeasure.

But it is harder to overcome the spring pressure when pushing the gear lever away from you (as in next to first gear) than when pulling it towards you (as in next to fifth or sixth gear). If you happen to be in one of those countries where the gear lever is on your right hand side, then I can only feel sorry for you!

Reply to
Peter Bell

"One of those countries"? I do appreciate a good joke. :-)

Reply to
Victor Bazarov

French tanks are similar, oh no sorry, they go

F R1 R3 R5 R2 R4 R6

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

I have the A4 6 speed and it is not an issue. I have to push the shifter down first to engage R.

Howard

Reply to
howitzer

Not particularly. I've even seen that configuration on 5-speeds before.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

What's the joke? I believe that more than 50% of the world's population live in countries where the rule is to drive on the left hand side of the road.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Well, I believe you believe wrong. This link:

34% "lefties" versus 66% "righties". Oh, of course, it's for1996... But _I_believe_ the distribution of the Earth's populationhasn't changed too much since then. And I don't believe any countriessuddenly changed the side of the road they drive on. Of course, _living_ in a country with driving on a certain side of the road and being able (or having anything) to _drive_ in it is a completely different story. How many do you think actually _drive_passenger_cars_ in those countries? So, THAT's pretty much an open question, not how many countries there are with a particular rule or how many people live in them.

Reply to
Victor Bazarov

Well, quite. Interesting link (I guess that one gets totally different "origin" stories when one is based in a different continent. IMHO he missed a /great/ set of stories by skipping the Greek changeover ;o)

Mind you, China aside, and his figures get a /lot/ closer.. and that's excluding the countries that decided right-handed people would be safer if they held the steering wheel in their left hand while changing gear.

Like most opinions (including mine - I'm no chauvinist), it's probably based on the theory "I've been doin' it, so that's the best way to do it. An' now I'm gonna prove it")

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Nope. There is, as you say, an "automatic system" to prevent that.

You have to *push down* before you can move into the reverse gate. It's obvious you haven't actually driven one.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Of course I haven't driven one. Didn't you even bother to read my original post? "It has a 6-speed manual, which I've never driven before. (I've only driven 5-sp)."

Reply to
Digital Puer

I think that was established at Square One ;-)

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper