Questions about buying a used Audi A6

hi ,

I am a recent college graduate looking to buy an Audi , i have been able to narrow my choice down to the Audi s4 2.7T or the Audi A6 2.7T (2003 or 2002) , I am basically looking for a performance sedan with decent looks and is certified pre-owned . If any body has recently had any experience in buying similar cars please let me know.

Thank you

Reply to
saavz

If you are in the U.S., Get yourself a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line. It's basically a de-tuned RS6 with great handling, great looks, comfort and ride, decent gas mileage (15-19 city/24-28 highway), 7 seconds 0-60 in Tiptronic. I bought one certified 6 months ago and I just love it. There are alot of these because they had a sweet lease deal and many are coming off lease now. With the certified warrantee, you're good until 2010 or 100K miles. It doesn't get much sweeter than this!

Reply to
TonyKiz

It may be "sweet", but you'd have to be on crack to believe an A6 2.7T is anything similar to a "detuned RS6." It's not even on the same *planet* as an actual RS6....

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Unless you are pulling down some pretty serious dough for a new college grad, I'd not bother with the 2.7T car unless you are handy at swinging your own wrenches.

These cars are a joy to drive, but you have to absolutely stay on top of every little thing that comes up, or the avalanche will bury you. And if you can't do it yourself, then your friendly (?) mechanic will be buying a new boat on your dime.

These are great cars, don't get me wrong. I love mine (all of them) and wouldn't drive anything else. But after 15 years of ownership, and

9 or so Audis (3 currently), I would not recommend them to those with limited financial resources. Especially the turbo cars. I've got one, and I owned a '00 S4 for a while.

Good luck, and if you decide that my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, I won't be insulted. :)

E.P.

1995 UrS6
Reply to
Ed Pirrero

I'll agree that the 2.7T is a great car - I owned mine for just over three years, enjoyed every minute, and had no problems with it.

I would still be happy driving the 2.7T if it weren't for the fact that I traded up to an RS6. There's no way I would describe the 2.7 as a 'de-tuned RS6' - it's in a totally different league! The 2.7 is quick, but the RS6 is brutal! The suspension/roadholding/handling of the RS6 is much better. The interior, whilst similar, is much 'plusher' in the RS.

The RS6 is definitely more expensive to run and maintain but, interestingly, I find that the gas mileage is only about 1 mpg worse than the 2.7 (both Tiptronic, both Avants), and the RS6 gas tank is significantly bigger than that on the 2.7.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I tend to agree with Ed re: expense of repairing these cars - but you mentioned you were interested in a CPO car - assuming the warranty is similar to a new car warranty in terms of covered repairs, I'd be comfortable getting one. But as Ed implied, these are complex cars, especially with the twin turbo engine. There are plenty of people out there who have had problems, and there are plenty who have had no issues. You just need to do ALL of the preventative maintenance on these cars as scheduled, if not a little earlier.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I love the CPO program. I personally think it's great. I have 2001 A6 2.8 quattro (bought in 2004) and 2002 A6 3.0 quattro (bought in 2005). Both are running with no problems. Well, the 2002 had to have the fuel pump replaced - covered under warranty. No fuss.

I think the S4 is more performance oriented compared to the A6, tho. I test-drove an S4 and S6 while shopping (for the above A6's). Too stiff on my back. I'm gettin' old! (plus, the potholes in Philadelphia are murders on these sport-tuned suspension...) LOL.

Gil.

Reply to
Gilbert M. Kowie