Rattle from Audi A6 engine

Hi,

I have an Audi A6 1999 Avant 2.4 petrol. Low milage.

A rattle has just developed yesterday coming from the engine. To me it sounds like one or more tappets but the guy from the AA thought it might be the water pump or fan belt tensioner (he was called out over an unrelated issue btw - dead battery). The noise seems to be coming from the front/top nearside of the engine. It is audable while driving at low speeds but is drowned out by the wind at higher speeds.

The car had a service a month ago and has not been used much since then. I took the car for a good run but the noise did not go (In fact it may have got slightly worse). The oil level is fine.

Is there anything I should check before sending in the garage? Should I not drive it in case something breaks?

TIA. Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Try to locate the noise by holding a piece of tubing in your ear and the other end against where you think the noise might be coming from. What you've told us so far is far too vague.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Without examining the car, its very difficult to tell, but the V6 is prone to both water pump failure, and cam drive tensioner failure, both of which can (in case of w/pump) and will (in case of tensioner) lunch the engine, so personnally I would not drive the car until its been properly checked.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

IF it's coming from the cambelt tensioner or waterpump, it can wreck the engine, Ring round your local garages to get a price for a cambelt & tensioner change before you take it in, the price varies dramatically.

Reply to
Duncanwood

I don't really fancy sticking a piece of tube in among the cam belt and fans! ;-) I guess I'll have to take it to the garage but they can't look at it until next week :-(

Oh I wish I could get a workshop manual for a UK spec car!

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

The US spec manual covers that engine IIRC. If not then you can buy the UK manual from

Duncanwood

Thanks for the link. Have you used this? I'm a bit wary of spending that much money when I'm not sure what I would be getting. For example if I bought the engine document, is it likely to refer to other documents which I would have to purchase as well?

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

The engine document only covers the engine mechanics, the fuel injections a seperate document. You'd want

then you buy the engine mechanical & fuel injection & emissions from erwin. Then you print the erwin ones out to make them easier to use (nothing to do with the 1 yr subscription)It's not cheap but real service manuals truly make you dislike Haynes.Or you can send 10Eu to someone in Croatio & it all turns up on a CD.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Thanks again for the info.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Here's a datapoint. I had a noise coming from the left front side of my engine, sounded nasty and somewhat varied with engine speed.

Turned out to be a bad AC compressor.

Remanufactured unit was $600 plus install.

Lee

Reply to
Lee