Re: 02' A4 1.8T 20K miles with LOUD drivetrain MOAN on L / R turns and

Check the power steering fluid. Might be low. That will do it.
says...

PS was low two weeks ago. However the noise I have had since day one and the dealer said "they all do that". But of course they do not as I have driven the 2001, 2002 (other ones) and 2003 models of A4 1.8T. They are all quiet like a $ 30K car should be. Once the PS fluid was topped off, the noise was reduced "somewhat". But the whole car interior vibrates like a 25 year old Jeep. It must be something in the drive train. However when I'm in NEUTRAL (5spd) there is NO noise at all. Completely quiet as could be. I hope this Tuesday they will identify it quickly. I think I have....bad quattro / differential.
Phil
Mike B. wrote:

R/R wheel bearing is very common.
Only happens in gear. In Neutral, quiet as baby !
JPF wrote:

Could be CV Joint?

Completely
A bad CV Joint makes noise even if the car is in neutral but still rolling.
--
Knut Arne Glesne
'86 Coup quattro