Re: 1987 Audi 5000 CS Quattro Turbo

Chris, If you mean in a straight line, with tires with equal rolling radii (which is different than just the 205/60/15 measure of the tire) then no, you won't
kill the differentials. If you are driving on dry roads at low speeds making lots of turns and have differently worn/pressurized/sized tires then you certainly will put lots of stress on the differentials (and the cv joints/transmission/clutch/tires/etc). The owner's manual will give you a run down of how they suggest using the system (you can get a new one from Audi) (I think it's center for reduced traction situations, and rear for getting unstuck - haha) I lock the center diff when I'm driving on wet highways (straight line, water pooling on road surface), or when the roads are covered with snow. I only use the rear diff lock when I'm driving on very slippery highways (winter snowstorms or seriously deep ponded water on the highways) or in town on nearly impassable streets in the winter (combined with Blizzaks makes the car nearly unstoppable -during the "big storm" of last winter I drove around local streets with a "bow wave" of snow at the front bumper) Note that locking the differentials will shut off your ABS, though. (Mine doesn't work right anyway so no biggie). The quattro system in our Type 44 cars will help you go in slippery conditions, but it won't help you stop much. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

rear

Thanks for the time in putting together your post. I appreciate the info and I'll be sure to pick up a new owner's manual...
--

Chris Wong

"Steve Sears" < snipped-for-privacy@soil-mat.on.ca> wrote in message
I would not recommend locking any differensials unless just for getting off from standstill on very slippery road. Driving in normal speed with locked center differensial will force the front and rear wheels to slipp when cornering. This is due to the fact that the front wheels will have a longer way to go than the rear wheels. Quite easy to see when driving on snowy roads.
So locking center diff. can make the car more unstable than yuo would want. regards
--
Ottar Tverberg
note, remove "-no-spam-" to reply