Re: 1988 Audi 90 engine/fuel problem.

Could be number of things but the first that occur to me are:

- Replace fuel filter

- Replace air filter

- Not sure if the 90 5 cyl has ISV like mine but if it does, take apart and clean with brake cleaner. Also check the idle switch on the throttle body to be sure that it is telling the ISV to operate.

- Really sounds like leaky injectors.

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas on how to proceed with this > I have a 1988 Audi 90 5 cyl (fwd) and my engine runs pretty crappy... > The timing is good, i replaced the wires, plugs, cap and rotor. I have > run fuel injector cleaner through it a couple of times. The problem is > that the car idles very low (500 rpm or less), and the exhaust smells > pretty harsh.. not oily, more like it does not seem to be the right > mixture.. the timing is good, as i recently suspected that was the > problem and re-timed it, and it was one problem.. the distributor was > firing a few degrees early.. But despite fixing this, the car still > runs pretty bad.. I have good accel, but when idling, it is very low > and when i accel i get a bit of smokey exhaust.. it does not really > look like it is oily, looks like its not burnign the gas very well. I > don't know if the o2 sensor is good, i am going to check that next, > there are no leaks in the vacuum system as i had one, and fixed it. > and the car has pretty low miles (119000) i bought it with 108000.. > Any thoughts or suggestions you may have i'd appreciate... thanks a > lot > > kevin
Reply to
Tony Johnson

check idle stab. control. when my car had a similar problem , unplugging it worked temporarly, however engine runs at 1200 + rpm.

spark plugs, and compression good. ? check fuel distro plate movement ?

Don't know the exacts of your car, but if its a similar 5 cyl as I have, those are some places to start, hopefully someone can help you more than I .

- Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Carron

What exactly is the ISV ? I am sure i know what it is, but am not particularly familiar with that term. I wil check it though!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Already did the idle stab control.. that is the big roung thing with 2 outlets on the front of the engine in front of the intake correct? I replaced it as the engine had been racing up the 2000 rpm and then dropping back to 1000.. bouncing up and down.. so i changed the idle stabalizer... Today it began running at about 1100-1200 rpm... yesterday 500, today 1000... I am going to check the fuel and air filters this weekend.. and i will check the timing again. What would i specifically want to chk on the plate movement? just make sure it's not stuck i suppose. will do, thanks again!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin