Re: 1998 A6 Front Wheel Shimmy/Thumping

My 1998 A6 started to give a vibration while driving straight ahead, at

>speeds above 20 mph. Smooths out a bit above 60, and disappears completely >in any turn, either right or left. Mileage is 58,000. > >Wheel balance is OK. > >As well as feeling it in the steering wheel, I can also hear it, as a gentle >"thumping". > >Has anybody experienced this before, and if so, what could the cause be?

Broken belt in a wheel?

Reply to
daytripper

A few thoughts:

1) wheel bearing?

2) worn steering linkage - happened to my 2000 A6 and the symptoms sound similar.

3) thrown wheel weight. Please pardon the intrusion if you've had the balance checked since the symptoms presented themselves and are not relying on the balancing done 3000 miles ago (I mean recent enough to mentally rule it out but not since the symptom).

4) bent wheel

Reply to
Aaron Daniel

daytripper, Just in case stephens is not familiar with you terminology. I would call this a delaminating tire. I have seen this symptom several time with that being the cause.

Reply to
Tony Johnson

Righto. A tire with a broken/delaminated belt may appear balanced but the tire will still "slap"...

Reply to
daytripper

Could be:

1) A bent wheel. Bent wheels "appear" to be balanced on the machines, but not on the car. 2) A worn steering or suspension ball joint 3) A worn rubber bush in a suspension joint 4) Tracking out

Most likely to be 2, 3 or 4 (or a combination), but the bent wheel may be the root-cause, so get that checked out. I have a very similar problem on my '98 A6Q (128,000 miles) and the dealer cannot find the problem. Looks like I'll have to get the jack out myself!

Reply to
Ashley Shepherd

Check for play in the front wheel bearings,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s