Re: 1998 A6 Front Wheel Shimmy/Thumping

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:16:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@no-fixed-abode.com wrote:

Broken belt in a wheel?
A few thoughts:
1) wheel bearing?
2) worn steering linkage - happened to my 2000 A6 and the symptoms sound similar.
3) thrown wheel weight. Please pardon the intrusion if you've had the balance checked since the symptoms presented themselves and are not relying on the balancing done 3000 miles ago (I mean recent enough to mentally rule it out but not since the symptom).
4) bent wheel

daytripper, Just in case stephens is not familiar with you terminology. I would call this a delaminating tire. I have seen this symptom several time with that being the cause.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd Type 44s forever
snipped-for-privacy@no-fixed-abode.com wrote:

Righto. A tire with a broken/delaminated belt may appear balanced but the tire will still "slap"...
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:16:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@no-fixed-abode.com wrote:

Could be: 1)    A bent wheel. Bent wheels "appear" to be balanced on the machines, but not on the car. 2)    A worn steering or suspension ball joint 3)    A worn rubber bush in a suspension joint 4)    Tracking out
Most likely to be 2, 3 or 4 (or a combination), but the bent wheel may be the root-cause, so get that checked out. I have a very similar problem on my '98 A6Q (128,000 miles) and the dealer cannot find the problem. Looks like I'll have to get the jack out myself!

Check for play in the front wheel bearings,
Steve.