Re: 2003 Audi A3 1.6.. any opinions?

That's the smallest engine - perhaps I'd go for the 2.0, but in terms of looks I'd get a higher spec low mileage old-style A3 for less money: 1.8 Sport or 1.8 Turbo, or if you want a diesel 1.9TD1.
I haven't seen a new A3 anywhere yet TBH. I didn't take up their invitation to go and see it at the dealer.

Thanks for the comments. I manage to get a test drive of the car, and it's a nice drive, though I'm not sure how it compares to the previous model. The shape is a bit different though.. can be an acquired taste I guess. It is indeed the lowest engine sized model, might think about the 2.0 litre one, but it's a good bit more money.
I see VW have just announced the new Golf, which uses the same chassis as the new A3.. might hold out and see.. :-)