RE: 2004 Audi TT

Page 3 of 3
<< As I understand it the S models will be powered by normally aspirated high output engines and the RS models will have higher output engines. >>
Sources I've heard/read from both Europe and North America indicate that this is the direction Audi is moving.
<< Another piece I've read is that Audi is considering using the V10 from the Lamborghini Gallardo in the next S6 and the biturbo version of that engine (similar to the one in the Nuvolari concept car) in the RS6. >>
A couple of German magazines printed this rumour at first, but it seems to be the common story among print media now. The Gallardo's V10 will probably be modified slightly for use in both Audi's. I hear that they're aiming for 500-515Hp for the S6 and 550Hp for the RS6. I can't even imagine what a 550Hp vehcile based on the A6 platform would be like.
Or how much it might be sold at.
snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com...

Peter, which car was the 425-horse one you tried?
JZOKa.3721$ snipped-for-privacy@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...

<< Peter, which car was the 425-horse one you tried? >>
S4 after fuel delivery and turbo upgrades. And that's at the flywheel.
Peter
Nothing like the old spinning thing, eh?
JP Roberts
nz%Ka.4320$ snipped-for-privacy@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...

<< Nothing like the old spinning thing, eh? >>
Yeah. I prefer horsepower at the wheels myself, as that's something I have full use of.
Peter
Could you elaborate on the upgrades you have?
JP
eYHLa.6247$ snipped-for-privacy@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...

Fine. I miss my good old days as a student, so don't waste any minute of it!
Regards,
JP Roberts
Dv7Ma.7896$ snipped-for-privacy@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...

<< Fine. I miss my good old days as a student, so don't waste any minute of it! >>
Thanks, though days like today I'm going to try to forget. Dropping the first/reverse gear from a truck tranny on my thumb ruined the better part of a day.
Peter
<< 425-ish slammed my head into the headrest twice (first and second gear), which provided me with this learning experience: leave my head on the headrest.
550-ish would do the same, though it would probably leave a bump this time. >>
I bet. And think about how muc torque that V10 will make to go along with 550Hp. The current RS6 does 0-60 in 4.3, these new ones will be powerful enough to keep pace with cars like the 911 Turbo. I'd like to see the standard S4 get 25Hp more to help even out it's accleration (hopefully down from 5.2 seconds to 60 to the 4.8-4.9 second area). Can't wait for the coupe' and RS versions.
snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com...

This sounds only logical to most of us, but apparently not to Audi.
<< And think about how muc torque that V10 will make to go along with 550Hp.>>
Isn't that the same engine block that Audi uses in the R8?
Peter
Doubt it. Purpose made racing engine blocks are as light as possible to last the race distance. They would not be durable enough for road use. Would it use similar piston and sump layout? Probably. Apparently the Gallardo does not use the FSI (Audi acronym for direct injection in German language) that supposedly gives the R8 added power and improved fuel economy. The Pikes Peak and Nuvolari are "supposed" to use FSI though (quotes because you never know whther the engineers designed it in or of the marketers are checking out technology saleability on one off concept cars).
Is the R8 a V10 or V8 engined car?
Aar
wrote

<< Isn't that the same engine block that Audi uses in the R8? >>
Even if the R8's engine were based off the V10 from the Gallardo, it would have been modified so heavily, any similarity would be small. Beyond that, I'm fairly sure that the R8 has a V8, and that there is not yet a production variant of that engine. You may be confused with Porsche's Carrera GT, which will be powered by a V10 making approx. 550Hp that Porsche may or may not use to power a next gen. GT1 car. Oddly enough, the original design for that V10 also fell almost perfectly within the required specs for an F1 engine, and there was some speculation about Porsche returning to F1. Doubtful though.
<< I believe I've heard of quite a few other RS6 owners making mods to their cars. While you're right the volume portion of the tuning market is to make screamers out of normally docile cars >>
You call a large sedan with AWD that does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds docile?
He was not talking about the RS6 when he referred to a docile car - he was talking about 1.8T's.
snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com...

<< Do you know what engine the Bentleys that won this year's LeMans had? I'm sure they were made by Audi and were probably more modern, too. >>
The 2003 Bentley car was powered by the same engine that's in the R8. The 2004 Bentley car has it's own engine, deisgned by Bentley Racing. But the chassis is still based on the R8's.
<< Sorry, Audi themselves state 0-100 km/h in 5.6 for the best time a sedan S4 can get. The Avant is slower. >>
You're joking, right? Are you unaware that Audi's numbers are *always* conservitive? C&D took that car from 0-60 in 5.2 on multiple runs, and tests from other magazines indicate this as a reliable number. Better tires would probably drop that time down.
Not joking. 0-60 mph is roughly 0-100 kmh, so I guess we're both saying the same in a different way. 5.2s for 0-100 kmh is for the M3.
snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com...