Re: 2004 Audi: US -> Canada

I recently did this with a '98 A6. Instrument cluster will not be a problem, as long as the speedometer has markings on it for kilometers/hour (while I'm sure it does). Odometer in miles is not a problem, and this may be resettable by a dealer or with a Vag-Com.

The one thing that you will need is the installation/activation of daytime running lights (DRLs) in most Provinces (Ontario and Quebec for sure), and verification that the car does not have to be modified to provide infant car seat anchor points. I believe that all Audis imported into the US since

1997 do comply here.

Hey all, just writing to see if anyone has experience with importing an Audi

> from the US to Canada. I'm looking at a 2004 S4, and by all acounts, > (primarily government regulations, and Audi from a warranty perspective), it > seems like a 'go', but I'd like any real world feedback. > > Thanks, > Darren >

-- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Jay, thanks for the followup response. I tried emailing you offline but it bounced so I'll send this out.

Two questions:

1) Did you have any problem getting the Audi dealership (or anyone else) to do the daytime running lights? With my current car that I imported, I just rewired the fog lights to be on with the ignition. 2) For importing an Audi, did you have to pay duty or just GST? If duty, do you remember the %?

Thanks, Darren

Reply to
Darren

Fortunately for you, daytime running do exist on all U.S. spec Audis. They simply are not activated by default. So, like various other functions that can be switched on or off in software (i.e. autolocking, etc.), they can be activated with a VAG-COM utility either by a dealer or private party. By the way -- in case you are new to Volkswagen/Audi -- VAG-COM is a piece of diagnostic software that you can buy and run yourself. When installed on a laptop and used in conjunction with and special cable that connects to your car's cpu, it allows you to both diagnose problems and change various switchable user settings (like the daytime running lights).

Rob

2002 A4 3.0Q (black) 2005 TT 3.2 DSG (ocean blue)
Reply to
+ Rob +