Re: A6 2.8 SE - Opinions

Just purchased an R reg A6 2.8 SE and am due to pick it up on Monday

> after it's had it's 80k major cambelt service.

Good Idea

How does the 2.8 SE compare to other models? I was initially looking > at the 1.8T, same engine as I have now in my Passat 1.8 SE Turbo, but > fell in love with the V6 once I'd driven it, so much more refined and > a bit more punch to boot also.

Very smooth 30valve engine, even the 12v is a great engine

What might I expect in the fuel consumption department?
28mpg on the motorway, 20-25mpg around town
Is the 2.8 a good engine in comparison with other engine sizes?

Yes very good

Did Audi only produce the 2.8SE for a couple of years between 97 & 99 > as there don't seem to be too many about. Lot's of TDI's, 1.8T's and > 2.4's?

Yeah the 2.8 30v is also in the A4, 2.4's came out after the 2.8, the 2.6

12v was out before the 30v, but I don't know if they used this engine in the A6
Any other areas that I need to be aware of from your past experiences?

will help you with most things, go to the A6 forums, its mostly American stuff, but they have the 2.830v engine as well

What are servicing costs like, luckily I've had the biggy done for me > by the dealership?

Try and find a good local garage, I pay £140.00 for a full service every 10k miles inc plug changes etc

If regularly serviced what sort of mileage can you expect to get from > these cars as I don't see me chaning the car for quite a few years?
200k + easily, I am on 140k and it still drives like new
Oh by the way got stung onthe insuranxce, my company insist its a Gp > 18 as opposed to others who feel Gp 17 is > adequate......................hope it's worth it!!!

Seems a bit high, the 2.8 30v quattro A4 is group 17, mine is group 16

Cheers > > Ray > West Yorkshire

Have fun with it

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

No, the 12v engine wasn't used in the C5 models. Infact, the 2.8 30v was used in the last of the C4 models (end of 1996 onwards).

I wouldn't get too worked up about which group they put a car in - the actual premium is more important and isn't determined solely by the group classification. You may find that your premium is lower than it would be with another company that considers the car to be in group 17.

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Buster" skrev i melding news:bhd2ps$hol$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

What year models are R-reg. and W-reg.? I know that you use this particular system in the UK, but I do not know what exact year each letter represents.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Yes, it confuses us too - especially since the system changes every little while! Once upon a time it went by strict calendar year, January to December. Then it changed to run from August to July. Then it bacame six monthly, with letters from August to February, and March to August. Since then it has run from March to August, and September to February. Now, of course, the letter system has been dropped and we have numbers representing the year/months. Is that all clear?

See:

Peter Bell

"Peter Bell" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@iyonix.earley.fourcom.com...

Yes, thanks, Peter, when I looked at the abovementioned webpage, it became much clearer to me. So you have decided to drop the letter system altogether? I did not know that until now. But now I know, again thanks to your info, Peter. I get a little wiser every single day................. And that is of course a good thing. The new UK system with numbers representing years and months seems a lot more logical to me, it certainly makes sense, and has to be better than the previous system. So: R = 1997-1998. W =

2000. Correct, I hope? We have a 1999 Audi A6 SE 2.4L V6 30V 121 kW/165 HP with AC and Tiptronic. 1999, it must be a T-reg., am I right here? Here, we have a system based on the place where the vehicle was registered for the first time in this country, and not the date.
Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Maybe! Our new system uses registrations of the form: AA99 AAA.

The AA indicates the area of first registration - so our Audis have RN and RF, indicating that they were registered in the Reading area. Then the 99 indicates the year/months - 02 indicates March to August 2002,

52 indicates September 2002 to February 2003. 03 indicates 2003 ... etc. When we get to 2010, the initial 0 will become 1, and the 5 will become 6, so 62 will represent September 2012 - February 2013. Then, the three letter group is a random allocation identifying individual vehicles for a given time/area.

Yes, correct.

Yes, except that, depending on the month, it could have been an S, T or V registration!

As you can see, we also identify the area of first registration by the initial alphabetic characters. Indeed, the older registration system also used the (final two) alphabetic characters to represent the area, so my old A6 2.7TqS was W185 SRX - W says it was registered between March and August 2000, the RX says it was registered in the County of Berkshire.

Reply to
Peter Bell

£60 for oil service and £120 for Inspection service at the same garage. Audi/VW independent

Can't help feeling I've got a good buy. Paid £6k cash (84000 miles) and got full MOT, 6 months parts and labour warranty, full valet and polish, 80k service thrown in. Failed on CV joint for test so they've replaced that. I felt a bit cheeky in mentioning the last service report stating that it would need new rear discs and pads for this service due. They did not grumble and said they would do no problem.

Seem to be good dealers, local, very professional, family run, fair and reasonable and very reputable. Only heard good things about them in the trade. Nice to be able to take the car back there for servicing also, continuity and all that. I'm half expecting a tank full of petrol thrown in for good measure when I pick it up next week.....only joking.

They've helped me transfer my number plate over too. R32 JGA, doesn't actually mean anything to me but I feel it could be worth something to somebody in the future. I had Golf R32 owners in mind obviously.

I think they deserve a plug so here goes. F A Ropers, Bradford!

Hope I'm not counting my chickens

Sounds good to me

Like another poster said it's all relative. Thanks for taking the time to reply Ron and to everyone else, Norway included. I get good vibes about this forum coming over from the uk.rec.cars.vwwatercooled forum.

You bet

Reply to
Ray L

Didn't know about the higher octane requirement Buster. Thanks for the tip, will clarify before filling up for the first time

I searched Auto Trader natinally over 13 regions last night and out of possibly as many as 200 about 7 or 8. So I came to the conclusion they are either rare or their owners are extremely happy with them and don't want to sell.......I suspect the former

That's not bad at all. Wait while you hear mine. 35 yrs old, 4 years no claims (2 yrs lost a few yrs back unprotected), 1 claim for theft/total loss on my old Rover.....bless!, 2 yrs ago, £1000 payout but still declarable, Business class 1 use, local government employee, live on a new development but in a generally bad post code area. Already paid £788 fully comp for my Passat SE Turbo and now they've asked for another £350 (nearly 50% more) for the remaining 10 months of the year, only Gp 15 to Gp 18. That makes about £1200 for a full year. Must admit the dealer did forewarn me that the companies have you by the short and curlys until renewal. Hoping to get the premium down next time when I'll be shopping around.

Can you recommend anybody Buster?

Reply to
Ray L

"Peter Bell" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@iyonix.earley.fourcom.com... > Yes, except that, depending on the month, it could have been an S, T or

October 1998.

A very similar system here, except for the date thing. Our Audi A6 is D-registered, which is Oslo. All D- and E-cars, and some F-cars, too, are Oslo-cars. It starts with DA 10000, and ends with FR 99999. FS 10000 and onwards is another city, Hamar, and so on. The lowest combination is AA

10000, which is Halden in our very southeast, not too far from Swedish port city Gothenburg (Gøteborg), and the highest is ZZ 99999, which is Vadsø, not too far from the North Cape. The system goes from south to north, in other words. The Oslo region is presently using the letters DK, and the highest combination that I have seen so far is around DK 59000. Our vehicle is DJ-registered, the previous Oslo letter combination. The next combination here, when DK 99999 is finally used, will then be DL 10000, and so on. The letters and numbers are black on a white background, or sometimes black on a green background (cars with limitations on use). Very similar to the Danish plates, in other words, with the very significant difference that our plates always have a colored annual road tax paid emblem glued on between the letters and the numbers, like in Sweden. The Danish car registration plates do not have this emblem. In Sweden, they only have one road tax emblem on the rear plate, but we have two, both on the front and the rear registration plate. So, we have two letters plus the road tax emblem plus five numbers, black on white, while Denmark has also two letters plus five numbers, also black on white, but with no road tax emblem between them. In Sweden, they have three letters plus three numbers, also black on white, but with only one road tax emblem between the letters and the numbers only on the rear registration plate. The Finnish system is very similar to the Swedish one, with three letters plus three numbers black on white, so the car registration plates in Sweden and Finland look very similar, just like ours and the Danish ones also do. So, many foreigners have some difficulties in noticing the difference between Denmark and us, and Sweden and Finland, the national car registration plates, I mean here, of course, but maybe in many other areas as well, I strongly suspect. Our road tax paid emblems are in three different colors, red, yellow, and blue. Last year the color was red, this year it is yellow, and next year it will be blue, and then red again, yellow, and blue, and so on. It displays the registration number of the car, plus of course the year. If you do not have the correct emblem with the right color on your plates, the police will most likely stop you sooner or later, and simply remove the registration plates from your car, so it will be illegal to drive further. It is of course strictly illegal to drive with fake or homemade registration plates or road tax paid emblems. The registration plates follow the cars all their lives, and will not be reused. Some letter combinations are not ordinarily used, like CD, which is only for foreign embassy cars, the Corps Diplomatique. The CD Corps Diplomatique registration plates are with yellow letters and numbers, again two plus five, on a blue background, easy to recognize. I hope that this information will be appreciated and useful to some of you, at least, and, if nothing else, just to "broaden your horizon".................. or if you should be so extremely fortunate to spot a Scandinavian-registered vehicle in a parking lot near you.................
Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Thanks for the tip I will give them a try at the dreaded renewal time, fortunately some while off yet as I reckon they've had enough of my cash this year. Even if only a good deal for a year, then I'll shop around the year after that.

Ray

Reply to
Ray L

Yes, GB is the ISO standard designation for the United Kingdom. UK was allocated to Ukraine.

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Peter Bell" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@iyonix.earley.fourcom.com...

The Ukraine?? I was not aware of this until now. Oh well, why not. Since the UK anyway uses GB for Great Britain, UK for the Ukraine makes sense to me.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Except that rather ignores the province of Northern Ireland!

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Peter Bell" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@iyonix.earley.fourcom.com...

Please feel absolutely free to correct me if I am wrong here, but the full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, is it not? It is hard to find a suitable letter combination covering it all, so I think that when UK is "occupied" by the Ukraine, then GB - or GBR - is the next best thing anyway. You are obviously quite right here, GB(R) does not really cover Northern Ireland, but what can you do? The letter combination options are fairly limited. And no country is specifically mentioned above the others, not England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland, just (Great) Britain. It should be good enough to please almost everybody, I think? Anyway, you cannot please all the people all the time, you know..................

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND. The official name for the nation informally referred to as Britain. Often abbreviated to "the UK". The term "United Kingdom" only became the official title in 1801, when the Act of Ireland united Britain and Ireland. It had however been in use since 1707, when the Act of Union incorporated Scotland with England and Wales into the United Kingdom of Great Britain. GREAT BRITAIN. Used by cartographers to denote the biggest of the British Isles, containing most but not all of England, Wales and Scotland. The usage goes back to Roman times ("Britannia Major", distinguished from "Britannia Minor", ie Brittany). It also forms part of the official title of the United Kingdom, in which case it means the political entities of England, Scotland, Wales, including the offshore islands which belong to those countries. Because of the possible confusion between these two usages, "the British mainland" has been suggested as the least ambiguous term for the major island itself.

Reply to
John