Re: Accumulator a necessity?

From: snipped-for-privacy@ohiou.edu (Blink)

> >Thanks for the advice Dave. > >I did find a picture of it online and it is definately the accumulator >that is leaking. > >Does anyone know whether the accumulator is 100% necessary? Is it >possible that I can just bypass it? The desciptions that I have read >of the accumulator seem to credit it with two main roles: 1) to muffle >the noise of the pump and 2) to make hot starts easier by maintaining >fuel pressure for about 1/2hr after the engine has been turned off. >These seem like functions that I could possibly do without. > >Any ideas? > >

well if you bypass it tell us how you do it and how things work out. :-) does it also help maintain some even pressure with the engine running also? hmmm I will have to check on that.

dave

Actually, the accumulator can be bypassed. As it is a sort of pressure tank for the system, you'll find it'll take a bit more cranking at startup without it. Once the fuel pump has the system up to pressure the accumulator is not needed. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears