Re: Advise on buying an S4!

Hi all,

> > I'm looking into buying an '93 S4.... > > I had it checked at a CAA Verification center and the guy told me it had >a leak on or around the turbo seal....and that there was a litle bit of oil >in the intake........ >

I believe it is normal for the turbo bearings to weep a small amount of oil so you will always find a little oil in the intake tract. Especially in the crossover to inter cooler rubber hose where it collects and eventually damages the rubber leading to hose failure...

My questions are these......Doesn't the turbo get hot enough to burn >whatever oil gets on it?......how does oil get to it to lubricate it?....how >is it that he could determine that there is a leak? Is this a sign of a >turbo failure and how much to fix it if it is!......

There is an oil supply directly to the turbo center bearing and a large oil return line back to the sump. There are also water supply and return lines to the center bearing because it is water cooled...

> Could it be that the CAA tech misted the fact that there is a K&N air >filter and that the owner has just cleaned it and thats the oil residue that >was in the air intake?......How can I be sure? >

If the oil was UPSTREAM of the turbo, then it might be from the K&N -- it certainly would have nothing to do with the turbo. If the oil was downstream of the turbo, I don't think the K&N would have anything to do with it...

Aside from that issue, the car really looks in good shape......! > >I would greatly apreciate any coments or sugestions on what else to check on >the car before going ahead with this purchase.... > >Thanks, >The Rogue >

Check out the urS4 tech pages at

for some background and
for more troubleshooting info. Regards,

Russ

-- Russ Panneton snipped-for-privacy@s-cars.org Nederland, CO "Too bad ignorance isn't painful"

Reply to
Russ Panneton

Thanks a great deal Russ,......The links are very informative

TheRogue,

Reply to
the rogue