Re: Audi 80 timing belt roller

If the sound is actually the water pump rather than the tensioner (hard to tell the difference) it would make sort of a buzzing sound.
After R&R belt, pump and tensioner on my '91 100Q 5cyl last
December it took to making a whining noise at idle when cold but quit when warmed a bit.
The belt tension is checked like you say with the 90 degree twist but even the it is a mater of how hard it is to twist. Another way I test it to look for about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of flex in the belt between the water pump and the cam pulley.
The bearings in the tenwioner are sealed and do not need greasing.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd
PSH wrote:

Tony Johnson wrote:

I used the 90 deg twist test when I did my Golf's belt, and got it too tight. Try loosening the belt a little (only a tiny amount!) and see if it improves.
You guys were right. I had the belt to tight. Loosened it to have an easy 3/8 inch deflection and the roller noise is gone. This was the first belt I have replaced. I have done timing chains but you don't adjust them. Now I know how to replace timing belts the correct way. Thank you for the help.