Re: Budding home mechanic...

James
You may find useful information at www.tdiclub.com. The Yanks have only VW diesels but they are very passionate about their TDIs. Go to FAQ first.
Regards
Ernest

Hi
Thanks - I've already been looking there, but wanted a slightly more "Audi" perspective... are the engines really exactly the same?
I saw the TDIFAQ was referring to A4,B3,B4 engines etc - this was confusing me. Is this the same as the chassis type? I think I have a B5... or is completely different? :)
Cheers
James
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:54:23 +0200, "Ernest"

aware,
A4 is the shape, B5 is the chassis type, all A4's from 96-2000+ old shape are B5 the new shape Audi's are B6
Ron

That's what I thought - needless to say it was all rather confusing reading the TDI faqs - I assumed A4 meant A4! Quite an unfortunate naming convention isn't it!
Cheers
James
H1K, Martyn is now at www.vagparts.com
Colin M www.sportimport.co.uk

Thanks, Colin.
H1K
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:24:25 +0100, "Hairy One Kenobi"

Thank you, oh hairy one. I think the order of the day will be "slowly, slowly" when I eventually get on to major tasks. Thanks for the tip about cheaper parts, I was hoping someone would give me a source like that.
Now all I have to do is wait until my 12 month warranty is up - I somehow don't think I would fall into the category of "reputable garage" at the moment. :)
James

Nor do half of the main dealers up and down the country that charge 60 + VAT per hour to service their customers' cars.
Peter

Well, they have the dealer stamps, so they are pretty much in control. I've had my A4 for 2 weeks - it's been back to the dealer twice for simple fixes, and both times I've had to go in and fix things myself afterwards... god how I hate the motor industry. :)
James
Hi
Following on from my first post - do you think it's worth getting the "Bentley" repair manual CDs that I keep hearing about? Or are there any cheaper alternatives that would offer more than a haynes manual?
Cheers
James

Yeah - I know what you mean! And of course the haynes book doesn't know anything about the ECU. One thing that worries me is that is says the if you disconnect the ECU, it has to be "reset to initial values" by a VAG dealer. Would I be able to do this with VAG-COM?
Cheers
James