Re: Catalytic converters

what are the symptoms of a Cat that needs replacing?

I just had my car drive cleaned and it passed. But the codes say that it is below threshold. Not really noticing and poor performance, but engine light is on

Just curious if anyone knows

Reply to
davetremblett

AFAIK poor performance or increased emissions or sometimes a very foul odor. can be visually inspected when removed or possibly the exhaust can be tested before and after cat.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:43:19 -0500, against all advice, something compelled "dave AKA vwdoc1" , to say:

A foul odor from a cat. Who would have thunk it.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

It may be old oxygen sensors. Here is an excellent article on the issue. The converter is usually the victim and not the villain. So one must also make sure the engine is properly tuned up and oxygen sensors, if over 100K miles, considered replaced. If you can use Bosch Planar type (such as #15738 but requires splicing old connector) that's more resistant to contamination, use them. I'd stay away from older thimbles or other makes like Denso.

I just had my car drive cleaned and it passed. But the codes say that

Reply to
john