Re: dealer failed to return replaced parts

Now comes my question: I asked specifically that the old parts be saved

> for my inspection. This they did not do. I've paid the bill to get the > car, now I'm not sure how to pursue this. > > So, any legal eagles know what my rights are on this? I know the law > says they have to return old parts if requested on the work order. Both > my consent for repair and request for parts were done by telephone.

Some states require that the old parts be *offered* (Ohio is/was one). Some states don't have a requirement at all (here - WI) and all states have different statutes. If CA has a requirement that it be "requested on the work order", you need to:

  1. Find out if it is a further requirement that *you* sign it (doubtful for precisely your situation) or if it merely need be noted by the service writer.
  2. Find out if it *was* noted (You *do* have *your* copy, don't you?).

Proceed from there.

-- C.R. Krieger (Not a *CA* lawyer, but I play one here.)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Ok, sometimes even I can screw things up. Like I said, there was more to the story, and I confused the numbers.

But the news is still bad.

For just the oxygen sensor troubleshooting and fix: It was $351 for parts, and $850 for labor.

Tail partially between my legs,

Grover

Reply to
Grover

It was not noted on the invoice I walked away with, though billing "history" items were, like our phone conversation authorizing continued troubleshooting time. That was when I requested that all old parts be saved.

Since I had the car towed to the dealer, and I went straight home from the scene of its collapse, I never received any sort of written estimate nor repair order.

From the California Department of Consumer Affairs:

following consumer rights:

It was definitely requested, but never noted apparently.

They have not denied that I asked for those parts. They just want me to bring the car back in. I can't imagine why, unless it's to install the "washer kit" that arrived after I retrieved my car back, though not aware of parts being on order.

Grover

Reply to
Grover