Re: followup on GL-5 "experiment" with my A4 manual tranny

transmission with the clutch then.
You are saying in case the wear is uneven hold off on transmission rebuild cause there are no guarantee it will be done in sanitary conditions and just lube the pinion with antiseize. I found this http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/434270-My-Transmission-Pinion- Bearing-Experience while googling what the pinion bearing on A4 might look like.
Planning to go for a second opinion about the ball bearing to the shop that installed the clutch: there is no issue with customers looming over technician shoulders there. Will see how your "idiot with the wrong tool accidentally(?) tearing up the ball joint boot" theory pans out.
thanks JB!
On 02/26/2013 07:43 AM, AD wrote:

correct. especially if the transmission otherwise works with the correct oil, and doesn't whine excessively. as said by others, you might get another 100k out of it before a rebuild becomes necessity.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/434270-My-Transmission-Pinion-Bearing-Experience

ouch, that's a sorry looking transmission. you'd notice the noise if your transmission bearings looked like that.
what i'm talking about though are the splines on the input shaft, not the bearings. where the splines go into the drive dog of the clutch plate needs to be antiseized so the clutch plate can both center between the pressure plate and flywheel, and more importantly, "float" /off/ the flywheel when released. oem japanese use a synthetic ceramic, just like the expensive pink brake lube you can get from permatex.

it's not the bearing.

your ice story would do it too. in the land of used hondas, ball joints tend to get separated by pickle forks, and that always screws up the rubbers, and thus the joints go shortly after.

--
fact check required