Re: Free play in Audi A3 steering(rack?)

I have heard a rumor that the steering rack would be adjustable, but both the dealers I have asked this week told that its not! I heard also that the workshop manual would contain instructions for the adjustment. Unfortunately I have no access to this manual.
I checked the steering axle joints (in steering column), but found them to be intact. So the play seems to be in the rack...
Tenho wrote:

One way to tell is to get underneath and look. The ones I have seen have the adjuster screw towards the firewall next to where the steering shaft connects to the rack. So you need to remove the two clamps that hold the rack in place (good time to swap in some polyurethane bushings in place of the old rubber ones) so you can see the back side of the rack. If there is a jam nut and screw visible, loosen the jam nut, turn the screw in a bit, tighten the nut and give it a test drive. It took me about 3 tries to get the feel of adjusting the screw, first time was too tight, 2nd time it wasn't tight enough then the 3rd time I hit it dead on.
--
Roger