Re: Free play in Audi A3 steering(rack?)

> > Hi! > > > > I would like to know, if there are anybody with the same problem. My > > car (Audi A3 (driven 167000km)) has some free play on the steering > > wheel. It can be felt all the time (motor running or not, speed 0 or > > 100, steering centered or fully turned to either way). The play is > > about 4mm on the steering wheel, and it really disturbs driving on > > gusty weather and groovy roads. > > > > I have also driven other cars with the same undercarriage (VW Golf IV, > > VW Bora) and I found them to have some play too, but somewhat less > > than mine. The dealer said, that it could be the joint on the steering > > axle. I haven't yet checked that, but my guess would be a worn-out > > steering gear. > > > > Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated! > > Not sure if the later models are the same, but on my early '80s VWs, there > is an adjuster screw on the back side of the steering rack. You move the > rack out, loosen the lock nut and tighten the screw to take up the play. > Worked well on my '81, steering felt like new.

I have heard a rumor that the steering rack would be adjustable, but both the dealers I have asked this week told that its not! I heard also that the workshop manual would contain instructions for the adjustment. Unfortunately I have no access to this manual.

I checked the steering axle joints (in steering column), but found them to be intact. So the play seems to be in the rack...

Reply to
Tenho

One way to tell is to get underneath and look. The ones I have seen have the adjuster screw towards the firewall next to where the steering shaft connects to the rack. So you need to remove the two clamps that hold the rack in place (good time to swap in some polyurethane bushings in place of the old rubber ones) so you can see the back side of the rack. If there is a jam nut and screw visible, loosen the jam nut, turn the screw in a bit, tighten the nut and give it a test drive. It took me about 3 tries to get the feel of adjusting the screw, first time was too tight, 2nd time it wasn't tight enough then the 3rd time I hit it dead on.

Reply to
Roger Brown