Re: Glass repair

I had it done, it worked for 4 years before one stone hit an already

>repaired spot a second time, then it was time to replace. > >They drill a hole to stop the crack from growing and then they fill it >with (something like) epoxy resin. But the crack has to be clean. So >do it quickly.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have so much on my plate right now, so I won't be able to get to it until next week.

Again, thanks for the info. Dave

Dave LaCourse

Toy sez:

A couple of days.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

d;o) I'm retired military and have met my fare share of British citizens, so I am more than aware of *lots* of language differences. Bumpershoots and prams and lorries and boots, etc. But my favorite is "Will you knock me up in the morning?"

Dave (who appreciates his cousins from across the pond.)

d;o)

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

I was at a local garage a few years ago when a British woman came in and told the mechanic her teenage daughter needed her "hooters adjusted"

Reply to
BillyRay

Its very early days and would suggest monitoring it for a week or so. As I have said, no glue will stop a crack. Others will say they have had repairs done but they are probably just pot chips that we all have if you/we look close at our screens.

In engineering terms, the only way to stop a crack is by drilling a hole at each end and as we know you cant really do that on a windscreen.

toy

Reply to
Toy

Indeed. My father brought a 1958 Rambler back from the states when we returned to the UK. In 1961 a horse jumped onto the car, requiring substantial repairs to the front end, including the windshield. The first replacement arrived from the states already cracked down the middle.

Then in the late 70s it was struck by a flying stone which left a small ding - annoying my father greatly, because it was right in front of the driver's line of vision. However, he was even more annoyed the next morning (after a frosty night) when that small chip had developed into a 6 inch long crack. None of the UK-based companies could source a new windshield for that 58 Rambler, so the crack was still there when he sold the car in 1983.

Reply to
Peter Bell

One cold morning waiting for the bus with my son, I put my damp gloves on the dash of my wife's Subaru which had small crack at the lower edge from a rock hit. We heard this sound and literally watched the crack creep across the entire length of the dash in about 30 seconds. It was cool, like a slow motion lightning bolt. Not sure if the wet gloves on the defroster heat caused it.

As far as windshield repair, I do it on my A4 with rock chips and I get plenty on MA roads. It works well with the exception that they don't seem to be able to get the filler completely flush with the glass and it seems to tear at wiper blades at those spots, resulting in bad streaking. But I can count on eventually needing to get a new windshield given the MA roads.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

Please stop guessing probabilities.

Right.

Then you know wrong. It can be done and is done regularly.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz