Re: replacement tires for 2001 S4

snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu (John F. Carr) wrote:

Hi, I have 4 Michelin Pilot sports on my S4 - They are great. I love them. Not too loud and they handle great in dry weather - pretty good in wet too. The bad part is that they are not good in snow/ice. I have a winter set: Dunlop Winter Sport M2s.
I highly recomend the Michelin Pilot's if you have winter tires as well.
Cheers,
Adam

Kumho's are great deal if you're not a brand snob.

Not necessarily, but what if anything do you give up in return for the $50 cheaper price?
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

.- ContiSport Contact 2 on my babe now.
Bright side: Very good on the wet.
Dark one: Totally useless on snow and mud. Rather uncomfortable.
Both sides of the fence: Will give you reasonable results in the dry although you can never quite tell where the limit is until you've reached it. The good thing then is they are very progressive and easy to control.
Would I recommend them? I don't know, I've just heard so much about the Potenzas I think I'll give them a try next time.
.- Last tyres before these: Good Year F1
Pros: They last pretty long. They're extremely good in the wet and on muddy country lanes.
Cons: Not progressive, although easier to tell their limit. The moment they start to wear seriously they deteriorate so badly that they become a real danger even in the dry.
.- Winter: Vredestein.
Rather cheaper than pretty much of the rest. Excellent on mud and rain, decent on snow, useless on ice. Wobble a little but are very progressive if a inflated a bit under stock specs (2.0 atm for A4 1.8TQ).
Won't handle high speeds well.
My two cents,
JP Roberts

I ran the stock RE040's but within six months I upgraded to S02s - HUGE dry & wet handling improvement, seemed quieter than the RE040's as well.
Now running S03s, which are just magical dry or wet (unless the road temp is below 40F, or in *any* amount of snow, at which point you're simply along for the ride on a ballistic vehicle...)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - and a trusty rusty Pathfinder for crappy weather ;-)