Re: replacement tires for 2001 S4

I'm in the market for a set of new tires.

> > I have a 2001 S4 with Potenza RE040 tires. I'm sick of replacing > my tires one at a time as the potholes and debris kill them. The > RE040 are too fragile, I have decided. That makes me suspect of > the Potenza line. > > Any suggestions for which tire to buy, and why you like it? > Or places to look for info? (audiworld suffers from disorganization) > > A guy at the local service station suggests Continental Contact > or Michelin Pilot. > > I'm doing a lot of highway driving so a tire that isn't too > loud when not being pushed hard would be nice. > > Has anybody else noticed that you can't get two people on the > tirerack.com review pages to agree on whether a tire has good > wet traction?

Hi, I have 4 Michelin Pilot sports on my S4 - They are great. I love them. Not too loud and they handle great in dry weather - pretty good in wet too. The bad part is that they are not good in snow/ice. I have a winter set: Dunlop Winter Sport M2s.

I highly recomend the Michelin Pilot's if you have winter tires as well.

Cheers,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

Kumho's are great deal if you're not a brand snob.

Reply to
Ian S.

Not necessarily, but what if anything do you give up in return for the $50 cheaper price?

Reply to
John F. Carr

I honestly don't know. I've had the ecsta supras on my A4 for over 15,000 miles and they still have 7/32" tread left so they are living up to their wearability. Living in Arizona, I don't get much opportunity to test them in the rain but their dry handling and braking are very good. They are fairly quiet for a performance tire. Are there better performance tires? Sure but they'll all cost you a lot more money. Like I said, the main drawback is their lack of a prestige name. Even without consideration of price, they are competitive tires. Price just clinches it.

Reply to
Ian S.

.- ContiSport Contact 2 on my babe now.

Bright side: Very good on the wet.

Dark one: Totally useless on snow and mud. Rather uncomfortable.

Both sides of the fence: Will give you reasonable results in the dry although you can never quite tell where the limit is until you've reached it. The good thing then is they are very progressive and easy to control.

Would I recommend them? I don't know, I've just heard so much about the Potenzas I think I'll give them a try next time.

.- Last tyres before these: Good Year F1

Pros: They last pretty long. They're extremely good in the wet and on muddy country lanes.

Cons: Not progressive, although easier to tell their limit. The moment they start to wear seriously they deteriorate so badly that they become a real danger even in the dry.

.- Winter: Vredestein.

Rather cheaper than pretty much of the rest. Excellent on mud and rain, decent on snow, useless on ice. Wobble a little but are very progressive if a inflated a bit under stock specs (2.0 atm for A4 1.8TQ).

Won't handle high speeds well.

My two cents,

JP Roberts

"John F. Carr" escribió en el mensaje news:406b11c7$0$565$ snipped-for-privacy@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu...

Reply to
JP Roberts

I ran the stock RE040's but within six months I upgraded to S02s - HUGE dry & wet handling improvement, seemed quieter than the RE040's as well.

Now running S03s, which are just magical dry or wet (unless the road temp is below 40F, or in *any* amount of snow, at which point you're simply along for the ride on a ballistic vehicle...)

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - and a trusty rusty Pathfinder for crappy weather ;-)

Reply to
daytripper