Re: shift more smooth[ly]??

My experience is similar.
I've been driving manual transmission cars since 1988.
I've had 3 VWs and 4 BMWs in that time.
I now have my first Audi (A4, manual tranny). I've had this Audi for 15
months and have driven it 30k miles in that time. In all of the aforementioned cars, I've covered about 250k miles, including about 40k miles auf die Autobahn.
Despite that amt of miles covered, I still don't feel I shift my Audi very well. This is largely because the clutch engages very high. I'm told that the clutches are hydraulic and no adjustment is possible.
Here's a situation where I wish the Audi was more like the VWs, rather than vice versa.
So it really is a case of bung macht den Meister.
Good luck... to both of us.

So very true: "Ubung macht den Meister" (GER) = "velse gjr mester" (NOR) = Roughly something like "The more you practice, the better you get", or "Practice makes champion" or "expert". Do you have an equivalent or similar expression or saying in English? I just cannot think of one that I know of just now.

We have the saying "Practise makes perfect". -- Doug Ramage

Thank you, well, there you have it, the equivalent saying, "Practice makes perfect". I knew that you must surely have one in English, too. This is exactly what I mean, practice is the only thing to really improve your MT. We are almost breastfed with MT here in Europe, you know, but these days automatic trans/shift is getting more and more common in new cars here, too, and particularly in larger European models like Audis, MBs and Volvos (but not in Japanese), it seems to me, anyway.

And in the US, we say practiCe makes perfect..... Ahhh yes, the US and the UK.... two countries separated by a common language. But of course, the Brits started the language, Thanks for letting us borrow it........ and muck it up......
... As for your name change, I vote for Doug (on a ) Rampage......although there could be some creative explanations for Rug Damage.......
Cheers, (I think you say........... oder?)

Actually, we say practiCe makes perfect in the UK too. You didn't muck anything up - Doug did.
But "licence" / "license"? Well that's another story!
Chip.
I have a '00 A4 1.8tq 5spd. many, including myself, have complained about the very high engagement of these cars. I've owned my Audi for 3 years and still find consistant smooth shifts difficult.
But, here's one thing that makes it easier if you are not driving for performance. Let the revs fall down between shifts. Practice to get a feel to what rpm is best for you. But letting the revs fall between shifts makes for very smooth shifts.
I read this in one of the car mags. Not sure which one, but I remember they were testing a new car and commented that the only way to get smooth shifts was to do that. It works.