Re: type 44 headliner advice needed

So no one in the group has any input about the headliner re-covering, or what to use to clean the sticky old foam from pretty much everywhere in the interior?

Reply to
Antony Rodino

Antony

My headliner recently fell too : (. Apparently if you can get a vinyl one from a 85? junk car it will work much better. As for what I did, I removed the old headliner fabric from cardboard, and power washed off the old foam off the fabric. I also scrapped off all the old foam off the cardboard piece in the roof after I removed it of course (its going to make a big mess if you use a wire brush to start!). There is a place on Grays road (Im not sure if your in the Ontario area of Canada, ) however they do body rebuilding, etc. I am going to look into getting some foam that should last hopefully at least 10 years. The name of the company is "Dura".

Good Luck

Jonathan Carron

Reply to
Jonathan Carron

Type 44 knowledge is getting a bit thin here. Try the AudiWorld forum for these great cars. There have been a few threads on the headliner problem and a number of BTDTs.

I havent had a problem like yours in four type 44s that I have owned.

Reply to
Tony Johnson

Consider yourself blessed.

Reply to
Antony Rodino

Antony, There was a headliner from an '85 for sale in the Audifans classifieds a while ago - shipping is a bit prohibitive, however as it is hard to package. Look at

to find an '85 at a yard near you (hint - search under alternator, starter, wheels, or something like that.) I have always wondered about using a large sheet of neoprene - preferably one that hasn't been turned into a wetsuit of course ;-). Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears