Re: Wheel bearings (was Re: Noise from back of S4)

The right, rear wheel bearing on my 2001 S4 was failing

>(the quoted guess below was correct). I just had it >replaced. Is it worth preemptively replacing the other >rear bearing? I'm going to be driving a long distance >this summer and if it's going to fail I'd rather replace >it now rather than in the middle of a road trip.

No, don't bother. Your other bearing could go another year or more (mine did), and any competent mechanic can replace it if you're truly nervous about letting it go for a couple thousand miles before getting home.

>The mechanic said this is a common problem on Audis. > >>>Possibly a wheel bearing. >> >>Tony >>96 S6 >> >>> Driving my 2001 S4 today I heard what sounded like a motorcycle >>> following me at a distance. The sound turned out to be from my >>> car. It isn't an exhaust noise because it is related to speed >>> rather than engine power. At 30-40 MPH it is like the rumble of >>> a motorcycle. At 80 it is higher pitched, a low pitched whine. >>> (I didn't think to check what it sounded like at 120.) >>> >>> It's from behind and to the right of the driver's seat. >>> It sounds about the same with the sunroof open or closed. >>> >>> Any idea what this might be? >>> >>> The car has 66,000 miles on it. The rear differential seals >>> were replaced at 48,000 miles, when the dealer did a detailed >>> inspection for the last free service. >>> >>> -- >>> John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu) >> >>
Reply to
KLS