RE: Which new shock absorbers for a '98 A4 1.8TQuat with stock sport package?

I don't know exactly which Bilsteins he has on his Astra, nor what my stock shocks are. I'll check next time I go for an oil change.

Öhlins are apparently the reason why the new Volvos S60 and V70 R apparently handle so well. Even though they do get some "intelligent" damping system that would be impossible to fit in our cars I thought they might be a good option.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more about this.

Thanks a lot.

JP Roberts

C.R. Krieger escribió en el mensaje de noticias snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

> > I would really like some shock absorbers that would not hit rock bottom > > every time the road is quite rough as for that to happen. > > So would I. Unfortunately, that's not a shock absorber function. > It's springs that control your suspension travel. The shocks only > damp some of the motion. > > > What I mean to say > > is that I wouldn't like to compromise comfort any further but I would like > > to get more shock resistance towards the bottom of their damping path. > > That sounds like a variable rate shock. You *can* get them, but they > can be damned expensive unless you want what they already have on the > shelf - but wait: > > > Also, > > I find stock shocks to show rather slow reactions and the front axle too > > wobly on rough roads with an uneven surface. > > > > I've been considering Ohlins as I've heard > > only good things about them. Bilsteins I tend to find too bouncy - I have a > > friend who has them on an Astra platform. > > I am unfamiliar with the Ohlins, but I *am* familair with Bilsteins > (Boge, Sachs, Monroe, Tokico, Koni, and a few others). You should not > judge an entire brand by one model that is on a completely different > chassis from yours. *Which* Bilsteins does he have? > > I would suggest that you might be pleased with one of the > *gas-pressurized* models from Bilstein or another quality manufacturer > like Boge. These do have a progressive action, allowing small motions > with compression of the gas while using a fairly aggressive damping > system through the fluid and valving. You might do some research to > find out what your OEM shocks are, as well (I don't know, off the top > of my head.). > -- > C.R. Krieger > (0.75 G every day - every way)
Reply to
JP Roberts