Rear amped speakers

Hi!

I've just installed an aftermarket stereo in my 98 A4. The rear speakers are VERY quiet compared to the front speakers, which means they are pretty useless unless I fade right back and increase the volume.

The rear speakers are of course being fed by RCA preouts on my head unit, and the front are connected as normal via the iso block.

I *am* supplying 12v to the rear amps - if I disconnect the 12v then I get no rear output at all.

Anyone seen this? Is there some sort of control on the back speakers where I can turn them up?

Cheers! James

Reply to
James P

I had the same problem. There a two types of Autoleads connector / converter - one has the rear speaker inputs from the RCA preouts as you have now, the other routes the amplified outputs from the head unit to the rear speakers (where they are amplified again by the speaker amps). I tried both and the second one worked best in my 98 A6 non bose. It does seem odd using the amped outputs but it works. Autoleads tech. support also say it is OK.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
James P

This is what I did. I ran a 4 channel amp. Two 12 inch Audiobahn sub and theno 5 1/4 mb quartz in front. I don't rely on the back anymore because they suck and it sounded so much better in my friends that way. He has a '96 and he's a pro. installer. It sounds better because your running the 1' and 5 1/4 for the highs and the subs for the lows. I still have the backs hooked up, but you can only hear them in the back seats. I didn't change the head unit, because I have a '01 and can't find a kit for it. I just got a rca converter and ran it to the amp in the trunk. My friend with the '96 is using a $700 Clarion HU and a Clarion equalizer, in front MB's, and 2 x 12' JBL Pro's. audiworld.com helped also

Reply to
vitonxl

The problem with a stock Bose fit (don't know about the lesser models) is that the rear speakers are 2 ohm, as opposed to aftermarket speakers being 4 ohm. This is why you can barely hear those 4 ohm impedance units at the back.

escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts