rear license plate bracket '99 A6

My license plate mount screws in the rear of my A6 Avant are just spinning and one has dropped behind the plastic face. Do I need to remove the interior of the hatch? or can I get at these from the outside? The only
screws on the rear that I can see are for the two white lamps for the illuminating the license plate. Thanx in advance. Andy