REJECTING CAR as NOT of SATISFACTORY QUALITY?

Hello

Whilst I was really looking forward to being an Audi owner, the "Vorsprung Durch Technik" expectation was never fulfilled and I now find myself in the position of contacting the heads of Audi and the dealer (with whom the contract of sale is with) to reject the vehicle - copy of letter below.

The vehicle is approx 2.5 years old and has done 50,000 miles. I have owned from new. From what I understand my "rejection" is pretty exceptional, but do you think legally I have any chance of success? Whilst a full refund would be fantastic, I am realistic and don't really expect as I've had benefit from the vehicle (although not 100% what I was expecting). What kind of compensation do you think is realistic or should I expect Audi/the dealer to just refer to the warranty that has covered the cost of fixing these problems?

Thanks for your thoughts! MC

"Dear Sirs

After great deliberation and due diligence, I purchased an A4 Cabriolet

2=2E4 Sport Multitronic because of Audi's claim for quality, technical perfection and safety. Unfortunately after spending in excess of =A329,000 my A4 Cabriolet experience has not been as described.

With lost confidence in the car's reliability and safety, plus a catalogue of continuing problems (some of which took more than 6 months for Audi to acknowledge), I must now claim my rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Owning an A4 Cabriolet that is not of `satisfactory quality' or `fit for purpose' has been a terrible and extremely stressful experience and I now request refund compensation within 7 days.

A4 Cabriolet 2.4 Sport Multitronic Chassis Number: removed Registration: removed

- Steering Column Replaced

- Power Steering Reservoir Replaced

- Multitronic Gearbox Replaced

- Storage Hood Replaced

- Leaking Door Seal Repaired

- Air Conditioning Faulty

- Acoustic Parking System "Blind Spot" Faulty

- Airbag Wiring Replaced

- Automatic Hood Frame Fixings Replaced

- Peeling Audi Badge Replaced

- Windscreen Frame Faulty

- Ignition Coil Replaced

My telephone number is included and your prompt response in this matter is appreciated.

Yours Sincerely"

Reply to
mike1c

good luck

Reply to
William Teach

IANAL

It sounds like it was built by Shitroen !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You have virtually no chance of getting a full refund or replacement. Assuming that the faulty items have all been repaired what other quantifiable loss have you suffered? Have they loaned you a car whilst repairs were made?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

[...]

2.4 Sport Multitronic because of Audi's claim for quality, technical perfection and safety. Unfortunately after spending in excess of £29,000 my A4 Cabriolet experience has not been as described.

[...]

I understood once you accept the first repair any thoughts of refund/return go out of the window.

anyway as someone else pointed out you should now have a superb car..........so SELL it quick.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Your letter should have started "Dear Sir"

Tro

Reply to
Tro.Jan

  1. The Salutation The salutation is placed two spaces below the last line of the inside address and flush with the left-hand margin. The proper salutation for a letter written to a firm is Gentlemen followed by a colon. Dear Sirs is also used. When you are writing to an individual within the firm, the correct salutation is Dear Mr. - (or Mrs. or Miss). If you are writirig to a professional man or woman, use his title (Dr., Professor, etc.) instead of Mr. A colon always follows the salutation.
Reply to
Lez Pawl

No. While you have had a number of faults they are all fixed under warranty and you've had it far too long.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

I don't think I'd want my colon put on a letter, I'm far to closely connected to it!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

you had me in stitches with that one......................

Reply to
Lez Pawl

In article , snipped-for-privacy@easy.com writes

Dear Mr 1c

Thank you for your letter. Your refund cheque+interest is in the post.

[If Carlsberg ran the Audi Car Company...]
Reply to
Mr X

In article , Alan Holmes writes

You can use somebody else's; it does not have to be yours.

Reply to
Mr X

[snip]

You almost certainly will want to retain a lawyer / soliciter and have them send the letters and do all the communication through. It will cost you, but you have a much higher chance of success.

For their legal department to simply *respond* to your lawyer will cost upwards of UKP2500 I imagine, in time and resources. Going to court will almost certainly be more than you're asking them to pay. Doing this the Right Way is the best course of action.

Reply to
Av

I have been in a similar situation as yourself, not with Audi though. I had only had my 307, at that time, for 6 months when I tried to reject the car. I took legal advice and as I'd had all the faults eventually fixed under the warranty I couldn't reject the car as it was in working order. If I'd not got the faults fixed then I could have rejected the car as it wouldn't have been fit for the purpose. The most I got from Peugeot was a free service which I didn't ever use as I part exchanged the car for an Audi A4 and haven't looked back since.

I'm sure you should get on better with Audi as they have a decent reputation to protect. Hope you get a satisfactory result.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Thank goodnes for that, I was getting a bit worried!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

In message , Alan Holmes writes

Hey Was that my exclamation mark you used?

Reply to
Mike_B

I believe this is poor advice. The car is 2 1/2 yrs old and has 50,000 miles on it. The refund request has zero chance of success and throwing lawyer money on top of the hopeless situation is just going to make it worse for the original poster.

Paul

Reply to
kbtrans

Not to put too fine a point on it but that is complete and utter rubbish. Audi almost certainly have an in house legal team that could deal with it for a fraction of the cost you suggest. Even if they did not any high street solicitor would be able to advise them for a tenth of that. The OP would have to take action in the High Court and employ a solicitor who would probably instruct a barrister just to get the action started. That is always assuming the OP can find a solicitor to take the case on which is doubtful.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Don't such protection laws cover failure to repair, not continuing breakage of new things?

I'm looking at Audis now because Honda can't get my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid fixed. The engine light sometimes blinks at WOT and bringing in for repairs over a year and a half hasn't fixed it. It also chugs and stumbles at idle like it has 300K miles on it, but I'm told it's fine. I'd like to sell this car but I can't with these malfunctions. The next visit to the shop is "fix it or buy it."

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Really, how so?

Why?

Under which head of damages would this entail?

Reply to
Willy