reliable Audi with standard shift for a reasonable price

What years of what model on Audi, A4 or A6, if I want/prefer a standard shift.

I am doing a search on Audi or VW.

Thanks

Reply to
MacRules

impossible to answer.

Reply to
Eric Shune

Just look for a 2nd hand reliable car here. Tell me more what is the good and bad on Audi or VW Passat.

Such as ease/low maintenance, safety, should I consider for AWD or front-wheel might be less trouble prone?

Thanks

Reply to
MacRules

In Europe, any year. But they like real sports cars there.

You must be living then in North America. These people do not seem to appreciate that you can only get the full grasp of the performance of these cars if they come with a standard shift gearbox. The problem with markets where the companies only fulfill the need of the slight majority and forget about the others.

In Quebec, people want these good cars (Volvo, Saab, BMW) with std shift since people there enjoy higher quality and higher performance and of course Audis have a better chance in snowy conditions especially when using AWD where Audi rules but they cannot get them because their market demand difference is not acknowledged and is drowned in the Canadian one and Canadians prefer American Honda Accords (Toronto built) than the more performant European ones which are sold as Acura in North America.

Why pay that much if it is to only show off with them.

The best way to get std shift cars is to bug your car dealer and Audi with that request with letters and petitions.

LHR

Reply to
laurentien

Could I expect A4/A6 AWD standard shift last over 200,000 miles? Assume I spend over US $1000 per year on regular maintenance, tires, brakes, spark plugs, wheel bearing etc. BMW and Mercedes are cost more. I just wonder Audi or VW, year 2004 with

80,000 miles range, are they worth of buying them? How good of the Audi AWD system, reliable? Yes, I live in NJ USA.

Thanks

Reply to
MacRules

Yes you can find one! Main thing you need to be aware of is the lack of proper maintenance that used ones might have gotten. I see quite a few here in IN and IL that lost their engines due to improper maintenance. :-( So now they are relatively inexpensive to purchase which is why I have mine now. I have not even driven my '83 Audi 4000S (214K miles) since buying my A4 (131K miles) 2 years ago. My A4 sprung an oil leak causing an engine knock which lead to my purchase of this vehicle. I love it even if it is an automatic and the back seat leg room is minimal! lol If you work on them yourself then you can definitely keep it for many many years/miles! I have owned Audis & VWs since before 1975. My first Audi was a 1973 Fox. I have driven the A6 which I might focus on getting since it is like my A4 but larger.

BTW 80K on a 5 year old vehicle is considered high mileage per year even in California. ;-)

So Focus on: Proper oil and cool down of the 1.8t engine. Regular Timing Belt changes Front suspension repairs of those control arms.

Minor things can be that ABS module which is now less expensive to get rebuilt. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Indeed, you have more chance for long lasting with a standard shift since they are much simpler than automatic ones. Moreover, around the world, Audi has gathered a lot experience in these.

Audi were almost the first to feature AWD systems on production cars since those Audi 200 in Europe or Audi 4000 in the USA. They have continued all along, so you cannot find a company with a more reliable AWD system, not even Subaru or Honda. I would stay away from those car companies selling only a few AWD on a few models, but this is not the case with Audi.

However, beware that the VW Passat is not an Audi A4 altough they share the same base. However, the suspension system and engines have been upgraded in the Audis.

Yes, if you want to live long with an old Audi, make sure that you make those timing belt changes when suggested by VAG. You need to follow precisely on certain maintenance issues and the car will last long.

On old cars, I would suggest the strong 2.3 L engine since this is one of the best on the market and it was designed for rally at the time of the Audi coupe Quattro. It is even renowened to be superior to a Porsche 2.2 engine.

By the way, in 1934, Audi was the first to offer FWD on a production car on a large scale, one year before Citroen did with its Traction.

In my sense, Audi offer cars superior to Mercedes since they have done FWD and AWD for so many years. The other reason is that they offer cars with very good engines which are not gaz guzzlers. In this day and age of greenhouse effects and petrol supply problems, you can say that Audi are much more green than the other sporty-luxury car makers since you do not need all these huge V8 or overated suprecharged engines.

Bests

LHR

Reply to
laurentien