Removing starter motor on 1986 Audi 100 (KP engine - UK)

Having a few problems with this one. First of all, the ignition switch failed on Saturday (wouldn't spring back from START position). I replaced the ignition switch yesterday, but I now get a horrible
grinding noise when I switch the engine on - as if the starter isn't retracting. I will turn the engine manually to see if there's any visible damage to the flywheel teeth, but I think the starter motor needs replacing.
And here's the problem: I can't see any bolt heads on the front of the starter motor: looking at it from underneath the front of the car, what I can see is a semicircular end to what should (?) probably be a bolt head. Anyone come across anything similar? Could the bolt head have been partly sheared off?
thanks in advance for any suggestions.
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:50:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Graz) wrote:

OK, please ignore. Bolts/nuts were at the back. A little inconvenient but a short 19mm spanner did the trick.
You should check to see that your battery is fully charged before suspecting the starter.
IIRC the starter has at least one bolt that needs to be removed from the back. The nut may also be square rather than hex. I think that it has bolts that are removed from the front and back. Disconnect the battery before attempting this.
Graz wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:07:20 -0600, TonyJ <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote:>You should check to see that your battery is fully charged before

It turned out that the starter wasn't retracting - quite obvious when looking at the replacement part. Everything fine now.