Removing starter motor on 1986 Audi 100 (KP engine - UK)

Having a few problems with this one. First of all, the ignition switch failed on Saturday (wouldn't spring back from START position). I replaced the ignition switch yesterday, but I now get a horrible grinding noise when I switch the engine on - as if the starter isn't retracting. I will turn the engine manually to see if there's any visible damage to the flywheel teeth, but I think the starter motor needs replacing.

And here's the problem: I can't see any bolt heads on the front of the starter motor: looking at it from underneath the front of the car, what I can see is a semicircular end to what should (?) probably be a bolt head. Anyone come across anything similar? Could the bolt head have been partly sheared off?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
Graz

OK, please ignore. Bolts/nuts were at the back. A little inconvenient but a short 19mm spanner did the trick.

Reply to
Graz

You should check to see that your battery is fully charged before suspecting the starter.

IIRC the starter has at least > Having a few problems with this one. First of all, the ignition

Reply to
TonyJ

It turned out that the starter wasn't retracting - quite obvious when looking at the replacement part. Everything fine now.

Reply to
Graz