Repair manuals: 3rd party? Dealer? CD? Which is best?

I'm finally attacking some of the easier repairs on my 2ka4 1.8T, but am lacking the service manual for it.
Which is the best way to go?
Are those cheap all-in-one CD's good enough, with enough diagrams?
Are the bently (sp?) books good for audi's?
Should I buy the official audi sm?
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of