Replacing Fuel Pump

How hard is it to replace the fuel pump on a 86 Q5000S? Also what is the difference between the Bosch and Pierburg fuel pumps?

Durangoman, It's not too hard to do, although it's a far sight better to do when it's warm outside instead of bitterly cold (when pumps usually fail, unfortunately). Step 1: Know that gasoline is flammable/explosive and dangerous to your health. Always read and follow warnings before picking up tools. Steps 2 through N: http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/fuelpump.htm Apparently some have had success with the Pierburg units, though as shown in Scott Mockry's site the Pierburg requires some shimming. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

I replaced the Bosch with a Pierburg a year ago in my '91 100q. I was not aware of any shimming. It just popped in and replaced the old one easily.
Run your tank low on fuel b4 replacing because you need to reach to the bottom of the tank.
The Peirburg is nice and quite. I like it.
Tony