Results of Heated Wing Mirrors

following my continuity testing, I connected a 12v 50w headlamp bulb to one pair of wires and hey presto......we have light. (when Ignition is turned on, so they are on all the time)

I did not disbelieve anyone it was a case of a number of different suggestions.

So the conclusion is while the mirrors had electrical continuity, they must be broken somewhere.....but why this is so needs an electronics eggspurts input.

MOT tomorrow then if she passes its a new pair of mirrors.

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

FYI... here's a tech article on how to wire them up to the rear defroster switch, if you're still interested in doing that...

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

--Snip--

My guess would have been the mirriors too, what sort of continuity readings were you getting? Hi - 100k ohms or low - 1 ohm? Anyhow, glad to see it's not the wiring, and thanks for the follow-up.

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

Romy, about 7k with my uncalibrated meter.

also looking at Pete's retrofit I think I'll just replace the mirrors for now.

Reply to
Clanger

just dont click on any links........they take you to holiday pages????????

clanger

Reply to
Clanger

well I tried fitting the relay but it was a bit of a failure.

Bought all the parts, relay, crimps, wire etc

disassembled everything, found 10A wires no problem.

The problem started with the large "white" wire going to the rear window heater. In my A4 2.6 SE this wire is Black and it is live all the time. When the rear window heater switch is operated the voltage at this connector does drop a few 1/10 volt but never 0. Looking at my Haynes manual although it to indicates this wire as white, it does show a linkage to the fuel injection system from the rear heater switch board. I tried all other wires, those of a size (10/15A) and non were connected to the switch. I am unsure how this system works as the rear window element is only hot when the switch is active. I thought for a moment the rear heater was on all the time irrespective of the switch.

So I have shut everything up and will just fit the new wing mirror glass which will be on all the time, well until they burn out. Would it be possible to wire in within the wing mirrors say a high resistance resistor (one of those in an aluminium block) to take some of the power thus reducing the load on the mirrors but maintaining a little warmth to the glass element.

It was worth a try and something else to put on my CV.

regs all Clanger

Reply to
Clanger

I don't have my Bentley nearby, and it's not for euro spec anyway, but lets see if this will work. How about placing a relay inline with the existing heated mirrior wiring, and have it controlled via the load side of the rear defroster switch (or relay)? I don't know what the AW article does, but that's probably the way I'd do it. (Based on my electrical engineering/electrician experience, not neccessarily Audi spec).

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh