REVO Technik etc.

Sorry, this has probably been discussed to death in here but... I'm a noob, what can I say?
Anyway, my bro was just nagging me to look up mod-chips for my 2001 A4 Avant
1.8T Sport "for a laugh" and I stumbled across the Revo stuff which appears to be a soft-mod as opposed to actual chipping.
Anyone know if this is any good and can it cause damage to the car?
I've also seen these much cheaper booster control things:
http://www.speedydelivery.co.uk/car-tuning-power/audi-a4-avant.shtml
Any info/experience of this sort of cheapie?
Cheers!

they just fool one of the sensors into thinking the car is running cold all the time so it just over fuels. I can't remember the exact details but my neighbour owns <http://www.torqtec.com/ so I've been told the basics, but, the general thing is go for one of the proper boxes, either his or Revo etc etc.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.

Thanks very much Jon. Good to know.

As Jon said, forget that resistor thing. There are loads of different chips for the VAG 1.8T. Check out www.audiworld.com. Revo is one of the good ones but quite pricey. The code "hides" itself quite well inside the ECU though ;-)
I.