Rip out the Bose

I just got a new 2007 Audi A3 3.2. It's a sweet car!
There's no option to get this car without the Bose sound system. It's a real shame to hear such cheap speakers in such a nice car. Are there
any instructions online for replacing them or should I buy the repair manual?
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Just curious, what is a better option, just improved speakers? I was always under the impression that the Bose is an upgrade from the stock speakers, but in two cars that I tested, one with Bose and one without, I couldn't really tell the difference.
Gman (UK) wrote:

I think the Bose system has the amps built-in to the speakers, plus active equalization to, um, "optimize" the signal (read: correct for the inherent limitations of the Blose drivers).
-- Mike Smith
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:48:09 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie

Buying a repair manual (a GOOD one, like the Bently) is always a good investment! That's what I would do.
Why don't you like the Bose speakers? (Just wondering, I've no opinion on them...)

The Bose system speakers are a pair of single element drivers made of paper and fabric. One's a tweeter and the other is a midrange driver. They're the same thing you'd find as factory equipment in any economy car. They don't sound terrible but there's an obvious lack of frequency response and power; an AM radio sound quality.
I popped off a midrange grille and found that the speaker wasn't directly under the opening. Replacement will involve opening the door for sure. It might even require replacing the amps and building new speaker mounts, but that's all fun for me. I just need to know the secrets to safely disassemble the car - what panels cover screws, where to pry open clips, where to reach in to disconnect wires, etc.
When I think about the stereo and the options for an oil change, the manual sounds like the way to go.
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:47:49 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie

I've found the best reference to be the Bentley manuals in that respect... Either that or a six-pack of beer and a growing friendship with a good dealer mechanic who's been to class for this type of work, or a body ship that works on these cars (again, the six-pack can help greatly!) A third choice is a non-chain audio store (DON'T try the chains like Circuit City, their techs are not qualified at anything!)
Not sure how much the process has changed with the newer moddles but the site below demonstrates how to change the front speakers on a early series A3.
http://www.mikecaddy.co.uk/audi /