Rookie Question Re: Wheels

I have conflicting reports: If I change my rims/tires on my A4 from 16" to

18" does it affect the speedo/odometer readings? My tire guy says the dealer needs to make an adjustment, but the dealer says it will have no effect.

Seems logical that a larger diameter wheel/tire would make the apparent mileage lower (fewer rotations to travel a given distance), but I can't find an authoritative source. Any help?

Reply to
rkj

what is important is the outside diameter of the tire. Choose a lower-profile tire when you go to a larger diameter wheel...

Reply to
daytripper

When getting a larger rim, you need to get a lower profile tire, so that the overall rim/tire combo diameter remains the same. For example, if what you have right now is 205/55/16, then when you get your 18" rims, you'll get

225/40/18 tires in order to stay as close as possible to the OEM diameter. This way, the difference in diameter will be so small, that you will not affect your speedo/odo in any significant way.

You can play around wih this calculator to see what I mean:

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

lower-profile

I agree I have changed my wheels on a Audi A4 from 15" to 17" RS4 copies with no problems. If you go for 18" expect to loose some comfort as the profile of the tyre needs to be very low

Yoda

Reply to
Yoda

Remember also that, if your total wheel/tire diameter changes, not only will your speedo be off, but you will effectively be changing the overall gearing. If your overall wheel/tire diameter increases, you will probably have worse acceleration (with the stock tranny, anyway).

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

In theory, if the overall rolling circumference increases, acceleration will suffer, but top speed increase. Unlikely to be noticeable. More significant is the decrease in ride comfort and less resistance to aquaplaning with the very lower profiles.

-- Doug Ramage

Reply to
Doug Ramage

Eh? Ride comfort, sure, but I'd argue that less resistance to aquaplaning is not truly attributable to aspect ratio.

On a given vehicle (so the performance differences are strictly due to tires) resistance to aquaplaning is primarily a function of tread *width* and pattern.

That width is a factor in calculating aspect ratio does not somehow convey cause to aspect ratio...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Well, hell's fire, boys, if we're goin' to go gettin' all

*theoretical* here, let's go all the way! The other thing that the wide aspect tire (usually, unless you're getting the same width as the original tires)
Reply to
C.R. Krieger

"Postus Interruptus" ;-) notwithstanding, I believe you reiterated my point: the size of the contact patch, not the aspect ratio, is what's in play wrt hydroplaning...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd w/low aspect S03's, quite good in the wet...

Reply to
daytripper

That's *exactly* what it was. As soon as I realized I was repeating what you'd said, I hit the "Cancel message" button. Only it said, "Post message". Unfortunately, AFAIK, there's no 'overs' in Usenet ...

-- C.R. Krieger (no more embarrassed than usual)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger