rough idle a4 1996 2.8 12v, now hesitates during acceleration?

Nightmare car from the start. Had rough idle prob for a year now, mostly in cold. Through tons of $ at her, turned out to be idle valve. Doh! All vacuum lines,breather hose, redone, new TB. Now
after two weeks of smooth sailing, idle is extremely irradic, and now hesitates while accelrating. Audible "ticking" sound from bonnet, is this a distributor/coil problem? Also put in new plugs, no effect, but plug wires look old.
---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 5 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ----------------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@oksure.com (Devious!) wrote:

An ignition problem gets worse with compression. It would run well at idle but shake at high throttle with low RPM.
Did anything get gunked up while you had a faulty idle valve?
--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

it does make us wonder about skilled technicians........they just take one bit out and put another bit in. And even if it does not fix the problem we have to pay for it. They do this most probably knowing the right bit has yet to be changed.
all I can add is fit a new set of leads................you have spent plenty what's a couple quid more.
Can't you get someone to read what is happening to the engine with a vag-com tool?
If the wires are bad then there should be misfires! Also read the coolant temperature in the ECM.

replying to Devious!, Dave wrote:

Try spraying the plug wire with WD40 if it goes away then it is moisture in the wires. Replace the wires especially if they are cracked apart.