S4 brake pad replacement brands and cost - JPF? CR?

Greetings,
The brake pad indicator came on this morning, and almost made me spew my coffee across the dash. I'm not going to the dealer to get this done, so I'm considering two options: a local Audi shop or doing it
myself. Here are some questions:
1. Do I need any special tools to do it myself (something to open the calipers)? If so, how much do they cost?
2. If I go to a shop, what is a reasonable rate for replacing all four corners?
3. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what brand pad to use? I was considering Greenstuff...but if anyone has any good input let me know.
Thanks fellas.
Elroy 2000 S4

would suggest going to an independant garage and have them put some decent discs and pads on.
If you do it yourself you will need a caliper screw, it fits on the caliper and you use a spanner to screw the piston back in, cost around 10-20 here in uk.
Plenty of articles on audiworld, about how to change pads, Green stuff are fine, but I would get some Grooved or drilled discs, and some fast road pads, I have put 30k on my pads now and still they look like new.
Kevlar mix is what you should look for.
Zimmerman Discs and Pagid fast road pads, together cost around 200.00 about $300.00 us
And they will look nice through your 17's
Ron
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:51:11 -0400, Elroy the Seedy Impaler

For what it is worth, I was told by a dealer brake job is $1,000 Cdn or L440. Yowch.
(JJ) wrote:

Care to compre $ to Euro ?. You loose!

What does the currency exchange rate have to do with me being loose? And which one of you filthy continentals is talking about me behind my back?
wrote in message

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:53:06 +0100, "The Incredible Swearing Man"

Wanker?
That's a pretty mundane insult, especially coming from someone billed as the *incredible" swearing man.
Does your handle have a certain element of irony that I'm missing?

You call folk names like that & don't like to be called back by one of the folk you insult?
If you want to check google, you'll see some of my more prolific insults, however I like this NG & the content is good. I don't want to bring it down to gutter level, but you are a fuckchop.
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:35:12 +0100, in alt.autos.audi you wrote:

Not at all. I merely said that, for a guy called the "incredible" swearing man, your insults are rather lackluster. You'll have to excuse me if I expected too much.

This word, "prolific", I do not think it means what you think it means.

That's marginally better, I suppose. Get some rest, there's always tomorrow.
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:09:56 GMT, Pronto Breakneck

OK fellas...this is my thread...go find another one to fight in. =)
Elroy 2000 S4
OEM quotes are from vwparts.com
OEM fron parts: Rotor: 8D0 615 301 K - $130.00 (2 rotors needed) Pads: 4B0 698 151 D - $230.23 (I would think this is a whole set for 2 fron rotors)
OEM rear parts: 8D0 615 601 D - $55.77 (2 needed) 4B0 698 451 - $66.03
After market: From www.ecstuning.com Fron rotor set: $189.95-289.95 Fron pad set: $81 - 119.95 Rear rotor set: $149.95 - 189.95 rear pad set - $36.50 - 69.95
From www.tantrumwerks.com Front rotor: $145 - 310 (2 needed) Front pads: $90 Rear pads: $45 (Rear rotors not in stock yet)
From www.awe-tuning.com Front rotors: $299.95 Rear rotors: $189.95 Front pads: 84.95 Rear pads: 36.95
I have seen many posts from VW/Audi owners praise about the Mintex "red-box" brake pads and I would go with that. They produce much less brkae dust and perform equal to stock pads and they are cheaper.
Not many choices for stock replacement rotors. It's either stock, DBA or no-name brand from ECS. DBA is the best and I don't know much about the no-name from ECS. I would say get them base on your budget.
If you plan to work on the brakes yourself then you should get this caliper tool (highly recommended by the people from the S4 forum over at audiworld.com):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber@732
It's $40 and some people said it was once on sale for $30 but I never seen it on sale. I have a set myself but I haven't had the need to use it yet on my 2000 S4.
Well, the parts are not cheap ($500-700) even if you do it yourself but, hey, it's a 40K car. Gook luck.
David

Elroy--
Aren't you in NE Ohio? Seem to remember mention of that a while back.
If so, try ecstuning.com (a previous poster also mentioned them) I had all four corners, pads & rotors replaced (ok, it was an A4, not S4) for $500.
My local audi dealer wanted $1000 for the same job.
On 4 Aug 2003 10:48:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@munich.com (Avantium) wrote:

Indeed I am in NE Ohio. I called them already, and here is the price breakdown:
Front Pads (Mintex Red Box): $81 Rear Pads: $36.50 Labor: $85 Total: $202.50
Rotors were $289.95 for the front axle + labor.
They had the best price I found. I checked Autobahn and Fred Baker too. I'm not even going call those crooks at Cascade.
I think I'm going to buy Mintex pads from TireRack and install them myself. Audiworld had a couple good procedures, and it doesn't loook to be every difficult (famous last words).
Elroy 2000 S4