S4 V8 owners: a question...

I have only had my 2004 S4 (i.e. the 4.2 V8) a few days and I have only just noticed a fairly high pitched whine noise coming from the engine. (Its not
the transmission - it does it in neutral) The whine changes pitch and follows the engine rpm and its most noticeable around 2500 rpm. At higher revs (maybe 4000+) I can't really hear it underneath the classic V8 throbbing noise.
Does your 2004 S4 make this whining noise?
Is it anything I should be concerned about? The engine seems full of power and perfectly smooth. In fact it seems normal in all respects, apart from this (slightly) strange whining noise. Perhaps its normal? Or should I get it checked out before its too late?
Any opinions?
Cheers,
Chip.
Chip:
I'm certainly no expert on this engine and others who frequent this NG may be of more direct benefit. One of the writeups I read about the new 4.2 liter engine that is used in the S4 is that it creates more engine noise. In redesigning the engine to fit into less space Audi moved the timing chain/belt to the back of the engine and they say it makes more noise in the passenger compartment. You should check with your dealership's service department to make sure yours isn't making an unusual noise. However, the noise you describe is consistent with the noise I would expect from a timing chain/belt.
Aar

Chip:
Agreed. That's what they're there for. Taking it to them and opening a service call for the noise creates an early audit trail for future use if it turns out to be a problem.
Aar

wow. smart friggin move. now a timing belt chg every 60k is going to cost $2k?

It's not a belt, nimrod. It's a chain...