Seat Pain?

Okay...here's a weird one...I'm 6'5" and I've noticed, lately, that the back of my right thigh begins to ache after driving for about 20 minutes. It gets so bad, that my toes feel numb. I'm driving an A4....had a passat...didn't have that trouble. Are the seats smaller?

Reply to
JJ

Your just getting older :-)

try making the seat height lower of higher this may help,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I'm 6'4" myself and I found a great deal of relief by making the lumbar support more prominent. Otherwise, you might try to raise the front of the seat (if you have power seats) until your thigh is supported or move the seat back to accomplish the same thing. Although I'll bet your seat is already all the way back!

Reply to
Steve McD

I'm not sure if the seats height-adjust in a similar fashion to the TT (it's fairly common) - they actually tilt, so that lowering the seat angles the rear of the seat downwards.

What you end up with is the front of the seat higher than the rear. Which can dig into the underside of your thigh, and possibly cut off the circulation. I didn't get a lack of circulation, but it *did* take a while to get the seat "just right".

Next time you're out, try raising the seat as high as you can, and see if the problem goes away. From there, it's a matter of fine-tuning the cricked neck vs. leg numbness ;o)

HTH

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

It sounds like a nerve is getting pinched. I also have had this problem so many years. Seat position is key, and different seats need different settings.

In my A6, I had to move the seat nearer the steering wheel (to reduce leg stretch), tilt the seat itself back a bit, and put the backrest in a more upright position. If possible, try to get all your joints (hip, knee, ankle) as close to 90 degrees as possible. Also, set the steering wheel to keep your elbows bent quite a bit. The "sports car straight arm" posture will strain your neck, and this may be the source of the pinched nerve.

Use cruise control whenever possible -- this lets you relax your right leg.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I know this is an automotive group, but don't overlook the obvious. Tell your doctor. It's probably just the seat, but why mess with it?

Ken

Reply to
KWS