Second gear woes

Hi,

I have a 2002 A4 1.8T with a stick (had it for two weeks and still smiling every time I drive it). Last week temperature here in Ottawa was dropping to -15 Celsius in the morning (that's +5 Fahrenheit for our American friends) and the stick just wouldn't make it into the second gear at all. It would give a nice crunch if I tried to force it (I had to do 1->3). Now, once it warms up, everything is OK. This only happens if the temperature is really low and the car is cold. I know that the second gear of that gear box is a wee bit tough (Edmunds reviewer noted the same thing about it) but does anyone living in colder parts have similar experiences?

D.

Reply to
Dusan

Been discussed here a few times, you need to get some synthetic gearbox oil, just find the most expensive you can :)

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

If you're looking for a Audi shop to do the work, there is a VW/Audi garage RJ Motors on Edgewater Street in Kanata (off Terrry Fox) that have done good work on my car (96 S6). Can recommend them.

Tony Ottawa

Reply to
Tony Curran

Hi,

I live in north of Finland. Usually here is -15 to -35 Celsius degrees in winter. My car is A4 1.8T 99.5 and I haven't had any problems with gears. It's normal that the stik is a little bit stiff on cold weathers and shifting have to be made in reasonable RPM range when car is just started.

I think, the gear oil quality is depending on marketing areas of the car. Here in Finland the gear oil must be full synthetic oil, I don't know what is the requirement in North America. One friend brought a BMW (automatic)from Germany and he had to replace the gear oils immediately after first freeze days of autumn.

-JP

Dusan wrote:

Reply to
J.P.