shocking whipers

The whipers on my 2000 A4 Avant are going slow and shocky. The fastest mode doesn't function at all. After some time driving (20min), the whipers stop
all the way. After a stand-still of something like half an hour, the whipers function again, BUT with the same flaws described before.
Any thoughts?
regards Dan
Dano wrote:

Wiper assembly freezes up over time. Supposed to be a rather common problem on A4's. Had it exchanged on my A6 for the same reason. Wiper got slower and slower over months. Finally it gave up working.
The complete assy including motor was ~61 Euro (excl. tax) here plus 1/2 an hour work by the mechanic.

Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI