Should I keep her? '87 5k CSQ 155k

I'm the second owner of an 87 CSTQ and there's so few on the road it seems, and people that know the car complement me on her condition (visually!), but at 155k, she's showing her age mechanically and electrically. Considering her age, the cost of replacement parts, resale value :( , is she a keeper or is it time to say sayonara?

Reply to
Antony Rodino

Antony, Well...if you're giving it away, I'll take it ;-) But seriously, it depends what you are looking for in a car. The Type 44 5ktq is no so complicated that you need a mechanical engineering degree with a minor in computers to work on it in your own garage (not that the dealer's service techs are either.....) Although I have no idea where you live, if it is in the snow belt (aka "salt belt") the heavy galvanizing that they applied to the steel that they punched the car out of will mean that with a little maintenance the body will last practically forever. True, there are some fiddly bits that break - most notably door handles, power window mechanisms, brake pressure accumulator, misc. wiring..... but that considered, the junkyards are clogged right now with cars that the 3rd,

4th, .... Nth owner said, "40 bucks for an oil filter? Screw that!!!" and junked it (The local wrecking yard is my 5ktq's candy store.) Now if only they had known about _WHERE_ to buy the parts. I get mine from a fellow a.a.a poster in Buffalo. There are many sources on the net too. Check out
for a list of suppliers (Blau has new OEM master cylinders for U$99) . There's tons of tech help there too - search the archives for any problem you have, and if you don't find the answer, then post a question to the group - a number of q-listers are developing a "knowledgebase" for fixing stuff on these cars. Check out
- Scott Mockry's amazing resource for the Type 44 DIY'er - he also sells stuff too (consider that reading his site is free...). The Bentley manual is the best source of info on repairing Audis - get one used from eBay or from someone here on the list. If you like turning wrenches - as I do - then you'll love keeping the car. The Type 44 body style has not become dated as most other cars made in the late 80's (designed in the early 80's) have become - it's still a beautiful car to look at IMHO. Sure, every once in a while things break - but they're not impossible, nor made of gold. As far as the resale value goes, well, thanks to 60 Minutes and their "Unintended Acceleration" BS-sensationalism, I have a "killer car" for cheap. I figure that I pay a fraction of how much I'd be paying monthly for an S4, or an S6 for maintenance on my 5ktq - and I can increase the stock 162 hp cheaply - VERY cheaply. I love the manually locking differentials - and use them often - and don't miss the ABS when I'm "locked" - I'm not a braille driver who needs to follow cars 2 feet back at 80 mph. If you're of the means, go for an RS6 - I would if I had that kind of cash (and didn't want to work on my own car). I'll store the 5ktq for ya. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"Antony Rodino" wrote in message news:y9WRa.61730$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Steve Sears

Thanks Steve. It's just that she's making some noises that I've never heard from any of the cars that I've owned and with the average part cost for this car..(ever notice that almost everything you're looking for is for all models "except Quattro"?) I suppose the problem is that I really like my car, but I don't really love my car..and considering that I have to choose investing in this or my spider that I'm not spending anything on which needs restoring..oh my god..can I confess my love for Italian marques on this list? Sorry..there's dissention in the ranks..

Reply to
Antony Rodino

You'd be wise to monitor the traffic on audifans.com - prices of parts are not a massive as the dealers make them out to be. (Believe it or not, FAW in China still makes the Type 44 sedans! - where do you think all those "Clear Corner Lights" on eBay come from?) Oh, the "Car Budget" dilemma.....yep, we all deal with that. I consider that it's easier to deal with a car whose various mechanical bits break down every once in a while but whose body is solid....than a car whose body dissolves around the mechanical bits before they've had a chance to wear out. There are lots of mechanical bits to wear out - a recent Audifans posting counted something like 20 electrical motors in a Type 44 sedan (seats, mirrors, a/c vents, etc.) - so long as you do all of the "while you're at it" fixes (like waterpump during a timing belt change....you've done that, RIGHT?.....or a rear crank seal during a clutch change) then the number of suprise part failures you'd expect (and the cost of them) is drastically reduced. You don't have to keep it in showroom condition - I drive mine on construction sites and sometimes it looks like I'm using it as a dump truck - wash it and spray wax once in a while and spend the time polishing the Spider. On the Italian Job....hey, confess away - we all have other interests as well - I sometimes sneak away from maintaining my "fleet" to work on my 1952 Rock-Ola jukebox (they just cough up parts in protest...) Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"Antony Rodino" wrote in message news:Qf5Sa.62582$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Steve Sears

Just to keep your spirit - my 1985 5000TQ has over 400 000 km and looks and drives fine - doesn't even consume oil. The 44 car has seven lives and if yours ran out of one there are six more to go.

offers some technical help.

If you can bring it to Toronto I will buy it on the spot. It a car to be loved. Plamen, Toronto

1993 100S, 1986 5000TQ
Reply to
Petkan

and another thing that started not too long ago, is that any time there is an electrical load, i.e.-cooling fan, high beams or headlights at an idle, the alternator belt screeches something fierce. the car always starts right up, no charging light warning and the belt is tight. is the voltage regulator going? the alternator itself? or is she just trying to be annoying when I have a date in the car?

Reply to
Antony Rodino

Belts get glazed. Replace belt should fix it.

Reply to
Tony Johnson