sorn u.k

in the u.k we need to declare sorn , satuary of road notification if we do not require road tax

as far as i am aware , this is guilty until proven innocent

road tax is a buisness, we pay a fortune to go on bumpy roads , i once spent 600 pounds on repairs to my audi 90 20v quattro, and handed in the bill to the road dept , who did not even respond ( a massive whole in the road for 5 yrs )

i own my car , if i dont break the law and have my property in my drive its my buisness, why do i need to pay for a stamp / etc to declare that i wont break the law,

what next sorn on my tv licence

sorn i wont do 35 in a 30 mph

the gov get away with too much, just think about sorn , how does it affect those of us who are decent ?

my audi 200 , failed its mot on a brake disc , steering gaitor and cv gaitor , these parts took several weeks to be fitted, but could arrive any day , i decided i must be forced to declair sorn even although my car could be on the road the next day , i read in a dvla leaflet you can phone in the sorn , so i phoned and was told , u must go to a post office , i was mad ........ i went to a post office , (cost me 6 pounds in a taxi) the post office told me, oh you send it to dvla,, and give me a form i sent it to dvla, heard nothing since ,, the dvla just cost me a lot of time money and effort , becouse they decide to break the law , and that law is , if you are innocent , until proven guilty , how can any one make you fill in forums etc or else,,, they are a buisness , why cant i bye a car , break it , or resore it without having to inform some company that has nothing to do with me , its in my own private drive how can they posssible do this ,,, i ask everyone to help with this ,,, i feel very strongly about it , ....

No, the changes are not particularly fair (particularly the lack of an independent complaints body).

It has, however, been around for many years - on your renewal, all you need to do is tick the box on the other side of the form. ("Side" as in left/right, rather than front/back)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I claimed on my A4 and got £2000.00 off them, you gotta keep on to them, and back it up with proof, :)

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

He's right. Make sure you let them know the precise location of the pothole or similar and perhaps even photograph it.

I once got a new exhaust that way, though given the size of the hole I'm lucky it wasn't asking for a new spine. I wouldn't have been surprised to find small children peering up at me out of it with unwashed faces and hungry eyes ... But then based on our roads/NHS/government we live in third world country after all. :-/

Reply to
Monkeys

I think that it might depend upon the council involved - I've been in a similar situation and got nowhere (replacing a manhole cover at 60mph using a Westfield sump. Thank Dog that it wasn't a biker that found it first)

On the bright side, I got a raised sump out of it.. and a certain satisfaction in leaving the old one on their reception desk.

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I always do mine at the post office. I make sure they give me a receipt showing the car registration and the date I handed the form in. A couple of years ago the post office didn't send the forms off, and the DVLA tried to fine me. Because I had a receipt from the PO, the fine was cancelled.

All of the SORN stuff is moving towards trying to reduce the number of untaxed (i.e. uninsured) vehicles on the road. I don't like people having a lot of information on me, but for the sake of filling in a form once every six months I support the notion of SORN. All you need to do is to be hit by an uninsured driver and suffer loss of the financial kind to see how this is a good thing. And of course to suffer the loss or serious injury of someone close at the hand of an uninsured driver must be much worse than this. If you're doing nothing illegal, what's the problem? It takes a minute to fill in the form and hand it in to the post office.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
<ee>

In article , Mike writes

If they really wanted to do this they'd introduce insurance and MOT discs, as they have in Ireland.

Reply to
Toby Groves