Sound System

Page 2 of 2
Guy King wrote:

Modern amps with switching power supplies can "chop" the signal at high frequency and increase the available voltage. Only relatively low powered amps use a 12V supply. Think about it; P = V^2/R. If V is 12V, and R is 2Ohm, the most power you could ever get would be 72W, for 4Ohm speakers only 36W. Obviously higher supply voltages are being used in higher-power amps.
-- Mike Smith
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, I didn't think about it, having never had need for more than a few watts myself. I've built step up voltage convertors before to charge higher voltage batteries than a 12V feed will allow.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Add pictures here
βœ–

What's the point? - I'm assuming you already have the Gamma setup, in which case it *really* isn't worth changing it.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
βœ–
"SteveH" wrote

It's not worth it to replace the crappy OEM HU and speakers??? Maybe not for someone who only listens to AM radio, but for an average audiophile there's a lot of room for improvement.
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, speaking as what you'd call an 'audiophile', the OEM setup in B5 chassis VAGs is pretty damned good. A car is a pretty crap environment to listen to music, so it's not really worth spending silly amounts of money on 'improvements'. You'll only actually get more volume, not better quality.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
βœ–
"SteveH" wrote

Well, the B5 in itself does not isolate outside noise too well and after a few years of ownership it can be a real rattle cage, but it doesn't mean it can't be fixed with proper sound deadning materials.
I have the OEM Symphony setup in my B5 and I find it lacking in power, clear treble and bass. The sound is very distorted when you crank it up - either the stock amps are very weak or the speakers can't take the power, or both. As a quick fix, I threw a self-powered sub in the trunk, but it was really a half-assed solution as I hooked it up to rear speakers for input. I also didn't want to replace the OEM head unit as nothing aftermarket that I've seen looks as good as the OEM. But I did hear aftermarket setups in my friends' B5s - night and day.

I think many will argue with that, but it's really personal preference as to what it's worth or what it's not. :)
Cheers,
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's something wrong with your B5, then.... my B5 Passat (yeah, OK, I bought the cheap version of the A6....) is showing 145k miles so far and drives as well as a new one, with no rattles etc.

I suppose it depends on how loud you consider loud to be. If I turn up my Gamma system, my ears hurt before it distorts.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
βœ–
"SteveH" wrote

I suppose it's the crappy pot-hole infested roads here in Poland that are responsible. 17" rims and sport suspension don't exactly help either. The interior was relatively rattle-free back in the US.
FYI, B5 Passat is the same platform as B5 A4, not A6.
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

B5 platform produced the A4, A6, Skoda Superb and Passat.
HTH.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
βœ–
"SteveH" wrote

I thought A6 had it's own platform (C5)?
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–

The 2nd generation A6 (ie. not the one that was just the old Audi 100 facelifted) was the same platform as the Passat, A4 and Superb.
Not sure about the new A6, though.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
βœ–
"SteveH" wrote

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/usmodels.html#type
B5 (A4) and C5 (A6) are different platforms, AFAIK.
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–
Pete wrote:

Yes.
it's been discussed over and over. The Passat lies sizewise somewhere in the middle and these days platform just means shared modular items.
Sharing they do.
Regards
Wolfgang
Add pictures here
βœ–
"SteveH" wrote

Forgot to add, the front speakers in the Passat (and Jetta too) are bigger (5.25" or 6.5" even). A4 has 4" speakers up front which are a joke.
Pete
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've got the Concert head unit, coupled with BOSE. Well, if that's pretty damned good, then I must be looking pretty damn close to Mr Universe!
The bass speakers are the crappiest I've ever seen/heard in just any car that would like to boast about sound. Not only are they clearly lacking in power - both loudspeakers and amp at fault here, but they also deteriorate in exactly two summer seasons - the paper is burnt out of its supple properties by the sun. The rest of speakers and head unit output distortion are only just acceptable.
The BOSE A3s on the other hand have some extra 100 Watt bass power - boot subwoofer, which is exactly what the A4 stock BOSE would need in order for it to be addressed as remotely acceptable by someone moderately exacting like me.

Add pictures here
βœ–