Sound System

Not true. Higher-impedance loads are easier to drive for a solid-state amp, not harder. Speaker efficiency is measured as the sound level produced for a 2.83-volt input (a so-called "8-ohm watt"). If you have two speakers, one (nominally) 4-ohm and one (nominally) 8-ohm, that are rated with the same efficiency, then an amp driving a given signal level will produce the same volume out of either.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

You're talking from the realm of theoretical bla bla bla, I'm describing real life. What happens in reality is what I said. If you don't believe me, why don't you just get some hands on and try it yourself with a real BOSE Audi system?

Then, and only then, are you in a position to discuss this.

"Mike Smith" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Yes.

it's been discussed over and over. The Passat lies sizewise somewhere in the middle and these days platform just means shared modular items.

Sharing they do.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Are you an idiot in real life, or do you just play one on usenet?

Sheesh - first of all, Bose *anything* sucks, theory or not. Second, don't talk theory if you don't want to be corrected when you're wrong.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Yeah dude, Ohm's law, basic current draws and voltage drops, that's

*really* theoretical stuff. So theoretical, in fact, that I learned it somewhere around 8th grade in shop class.

Yeah, because the theory behind electronics and electric circuits has

*nothing* to do with reality, right? It's all just fairy dust and magic, right?

Did you check the rated sensitivity of the replacement speakers? 'Cause if you didn't, you have no way of knowing what caused the reduction in volume. Could have been any of a number of things. But, unless the amps in the Audi/Bose system are *incredibly* weak, the one thing that

*didn't* have anything to do with it was the rated impedance, *especially* if you used *higher* impedance speakers. (Lower impedance is a different story, as in that case, the amp might not be able to supply enough current to drive the load.)

Gee, because you've installed a couple of speakers? I've been

*building* speakers for about 15 years now; I may be no Jim Thiel or David Wilson, but I know at least a *little* about it - at least enough to know that you, apparently, don't.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Now, now. Certainly Bose home audio gear is not worthy of the ten-foot-pole treatment, but their car stuff and movie theater stuff ain't bad, given the environment in which it operates.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

In comparison to its price, I'd say it was ALL crap. You can get better-sounding stuff (to these ears, at least) for half the price.

JPR is absolutely right about the car stuff - I have never heard a Bose car system that was any good. "Acceptable" would be the word I would use. And for what they charge, it should be "outstanding."

But audio gear is the stuff of myth and demagoguery. In car, in home...

:)

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Second that. The problem is that the components of Audi Bose are not really Bose in their entirety. For example bass loudspeakers and the CD changer in my car were Panasonic. That is the real problem, as I imagine if the system had been labelled Panasonic, the Panasonic guys would have taken greater care when making the product themselves.

"Mike Smith" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Mind your language, you "etiquette know-it-all". Then, again, how could I possibly take offence coming from gadaafmgemischt-Mr-Apple-and-Orange-gemischt?

Reply to
JP Roberts

Good luck with that.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

I'm perfectly immune to any criticism coming from individuals like you, Mr GadaemScweinGemischtChemist. Such indecorous words coming from an otherwise highly educated would-be Netiquette professor speak volumes about you and your background.

escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Obviously not, because you keep responding. Just because I am honest enough to be able to call you oatmeal-for-brains doesn't mean that I'm not educated as well.

After all, ill-mannered simpletons such as yourself usually do not understand logic, reason or politeness. So blunt truth in words with few syllables must be used.

It's too bad you can't understand the physics of what Mr. Smith told you. Then you wouldn't be so angry with me for pointing out your shortcomings.

Have I written this in words too large for you to comprehend?

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

The only one who is totally at odds with logic here is you, but that doesn't surprise me at all, given your poor record and credibility.

Those who call truth their opinions are totally blind of what truth really is.

I can perfectly understand more phyisics that you ever would, but sometimes theory doesn't meet practice, and the fact that you want to flatter Smith here will not gain you any points.

What you completely fail to understand is how short-minded your logic is. Your words are clearly below anyone's dignity so I will refuse to answer any more of your ill-bred comments.

The fact that you keep interfering with every thread taking it totally out of context every time and taking every little opportunity to pick on my every comment says it all about you and your poor education.

You must be a very frustrated little piece of a man to show such poor behaviour, Mr GcmsShhhttyGdamGemischtChemist. Oh, God, what a preposterous username you have. Do I need more proof? LOL

And let me take this opportunity to publicly state I will not be replying to any more of your ill-bred spurious comments, even if you keep insulting everyone in this very honourable newsgroup.

Reply to
JP Roberts

The message from Mike Smith contains these words:

True, but of course as the impedance rises the voltage required to attain the same output also rises. Given you've only got a 12v supply available things can get a little tricky with 8R speakers.

Reply to
Guy King

Lack of credibility with you? Heh. Lack of credibility with an anti-Audi whiner is a badge of honor.

I agree. Good thing that I've never done that. You, on the other hand...

Your demonstration of that "opinion" in this thread points more toward the actual "truth" of the situation. Flatter Smith? He's right, and you're wrong. No flattery, just a plain acknowledgement of the truth.

That'd be the real "truth," not your opinion dressed up as the truth.

Logic is logic. I realize it interferes with your self-pitying about owning an Audi that actually required some work. Next time, buy a car that doesn't require any repairs - problem solved! :)

And yet, here you are, doing your best to get your digs in. You can't

*wait* to come in and trade barbs, just like the impolite oaf that you are. Then you complain because someone actually returns fire. Hypocrite.

No, it shows how little I like ill-mannered folks such as yourself. Got any more gems of logic there? LOL.

And here you are, slinging mud. The irony is perfect. Did you even think before you decided to have diarrhea at the keyboard?

You calling me ill-bred is hilarious. I'm sure your parents would be quite proud of the lout they unleashed on the world. Oddly, I don't insult anyone be you - do you imagine yourself to be "the newsgroup?" That's pretty arrogant. Not surprising at all from you.

No, I think I'll continue to point out your whinyness and lack of logical thought. How you respond is your choice, of course.

Stick to the facts, oatmeal-for-brains, and you won't ever see me post in response to you. Offer idiotic opinions unsupported by facts, and I'll be there to correct you.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Modern amps with switching power supplies can "chop" the signal at high frequency and increase the available voltage. Only relatively low powered amps use a 12V supply. Think about it; P = V^2/R. If V is 12V, and R is 2Ohm, the most power you could ever get would be 72W, for 4Ohm speakers only 36W. Obviously higher supply voltages are being used in higher-power amps.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

The message from Mike Smith contains these words:

Yes, I didn't think about it, having never had need for more than a few watts myself. I've built step up voltage convertors before to charge higher voltage batteries than a 12V feed will allow.

Reply to
Guy King