Speedo problem

I have a 1991 S2 with 149k miles on the clock.The speedo has started to stick at various different speeds.If I tap on the glass housing the clocks,it temporarily cures the problem.Does anybody know what's wrong
and/or how to best solve it?
The instrument cluster on the '91 is fairly easy to remove with a few screws below the trim. It should be able to be removed without removing the steering wheel.
Disassembly of the cluster and carefully oiling of the mechanism should cure it. It will be a bit tedious but doable.