Sport mode on Tiptronic question

I test drove a 2002 A6 3.0 quattro 5A with 71,000 miles on Saturday, and liked it quite a bit. Inside and out, you wouldn't know its age or mileage. I am replacing a 2004 A4 1.8T Q 5M who's lease is ending in 2
weeks.
So I tried the Sport mode on the Tiptronic on the A6, and it seemed to hold the RPMs much higher (than "Drive" mode), even when cruising (not accelerating). I thought that the Sport mode is just supposed to shift quicker with higher RPMs while shifting, but then maintain a more efficient engine speed when not accelerating. This is how the "Power" mode on my wife's Camry works, and I thought the Audi would work similarly.
Is this the way it is supposed to be? Or could there be something wrong with the tranny, or does it take more time for it to upshift, or maybe I'm just not operating it correctly. Admittedly, I didn't try it for long, because it seemed it was just burning gas away at that RPM.
On 16 Apr 2007 12:29:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The Sport mode on my RS6 delays up-shifts to higher rpms for better performance. However, if you've ever driven an RS6 (especially a chipped one) you don't need a steeeenkin' Sport mode. d;o). I wouldn't use your sport mode for anything except getting to a higher speed quickly, then shift it into normal drive.
Dave
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:01:07 -0400, Dave LaCourse

my children and my wife 1 week a month for your RS6.
Whatdaya think? Deal?
Roscoe aka MrShade
Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it the more people assume you have.

I've never used Sport mode on my RS6 - it didn't cause me any difficulties when tailing a Merc at 150+MPH on the German autobahn on Sunday.

More details of your family required (with photos)!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On my 2007 A3, sport mode always keeps the RPMs high. It's awesome for winding roads. The only thing I don't like is that the engine revs a bit too high when matching speed for downshifts. It has moments of lurching forwards during engine braking.