Sports Sedan

Looking for a nice sports sedan. Considering a 540i, S4 or A6 2.7T, E430 or an Impala SS. I know the Chevy probably has the best reliability and quality and performance, but how do the others compare? Have they matched chevy quality yet? thanks!

Reply to
ted neon

It's not nice to troll with such a large distribution...

Reply to
Jim

The best trolls have at least a tiny shred of plausibility...

Reply to
daytripper

i'm not...

just had good experience with chevy before, and bad with MB and BMW...years ago

Reply to
ted neon

I've had a Chevy, and I now have a BMW. Your post looks a lot like a troll to me.

Mark Folsom

Reply to
Mark Folsom

Reply to
Rowan Smith

S4 - not sporty enough. I'd suggest an older mint condition used S70R.

540i - get a M3 instead. No brainer. A6 - *try* to get any work on the engine without removing it. This killed it on my list. The E430 - too pricey.

Want real sporty? The IS300 and M3 are pretty much it. Inline 6, RWD, and manual(real with a clutch and linkage - no computers) transmission.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

They are not nearly as long, which is quite distressing. Nor could they be mistaken for a Hudson at a distance, which might spoil your plans to attend a classic car meet. I also find that they do not measure up on the critical "mouse-fur-seat" scale. To add insult to injury, the makers of these so-called competing vehicles often thrust a "console" between one and one's bitch, making the successful acquisition of in- flight oral gratification difficult at best and painful at worst.

Sir, you will search in vain for a foreign company, run by those stinking Jerries, which can match the reliability, interior quality, and deft handling of a mid-Nineties uprated Caprice. For proof of this, I invite you to visit New York City and see which one of those nancy-boy foreign cars, if any, is doing taxicab duty. While the "E" does taxi duty overseas, I suspect Europeans rarely vomit in their cabs, as they typically visit a so-called "vomitorium" immediately after consuming vast quantities of grapes and young boys, as seen in the recent infomercial "I, Claudius".

Reply to
Jack Baruth

BMW...years

That must have been in the late 70's or early 80's when G.M. really had their quality at a high level that set the bar for all other auto makers. Right?

The German auto makers have never been able to match the unparalleled build quality that came out of Detroit during this "golden" era, so the original post makes perfect sense.

Troll

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

You must be first one to say S4 is not sporty. In my eyes, S70 is a family car with some muscles, but S4 beats it back-and-forth with standard four wheel drive and plenty of horse power. Some say it is even faster than M3.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

LOL.. You have to laugh at all of the anti-german posts, both in here and the re.autos.makers.chrysler newsgroup.. The rest of the world knows that German stuff is pretty damn tough and generally of high quality, but US posters just can't except it.. the joke is on them, however.. the main gun on the front of an Abrams M1E1 is of German descent.. ref.

quote from that site.."The 120mm smooth bore cannon system was developed by West Germany for theLeopard II tank. The ammunition produced by both countries is interoperableand interchangeable between the Abrams and the Leopard, thus ensuringmaximum commonality within the NATO community.".. Deutschland Uber Alles..lololololol

Reply to
Mike

Dude, you need to read JD Power -- the Malibu has topped the quality charts for the last several years.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Actually, the head gasket failure rate in the E12 530i probably topped anything Detroit ever did. In fact, all US-spec BMWs from the late 70s were cantankerous pigs. Notice how few there are on the road -- though they sold pretty well during those years, you see more pre-'75 ones now. The late 70s ones are almost all in the junkyard, where they belong.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Dude, if you look at the cars this guy is considering, both the IS300 and M3 are probably too small for him. Then again, the S4 isn't much bigger. If you want a *sporty* car, and will probably blow the doors off of most if not all the cars mentioned, take a look at the Subaru WRX at about $25K or for even more performance, the Subaru WRX STI which starts at about $30k....

Reply to
bfd

As for "family sedan", you do know that the S70 is a 850 with new sheetmetal? I'd put a 850 R against most of these pretenders anyday.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Well, if we're open to suggesting other cars, the WRX is definately near the top of the list. They barely modify them and go out and well - watch Speed Channel sometime. Rally racing is nothing short of insanity. 100mph+ down little fire roads.

Other than that, he'd probably have the look for exotics or something used. I just figured he was looking for something also useable as a typical family sedan, which makes it harder.

It depends upon his budget.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Uh, dude - April Fool's Day was over a while ago.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Yeah, it's terrible - I only know about a dozen Audi and/or VW owners off the top of my head. Oh, and it's "accept", ferchrissake.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Matt,

JD Powers is a POS marketing analysis company that measures results satisfaction from *sales* not quality of products. I mean. heck, the majoity of consumers don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to mechanical engineering quality. So as long as the *think* they got a great deal on their latest japmobile they are in heaven.

In the future, try not to drag out JD Powers as proof of anything important.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.